"I'll call you tomorrow!" I yelled, wishing more than anything that I could explain everything to him right then, knowing I would never be able to. I gunned the engine and peeled out.
“我明天再給你打電話!”我大喊道,恨不得現在就把所有的事情給他解釋清楚。我知道,我也許再也沒有機會跟他解釋了。我加大油門,把車開走了。
Edward reached for my hand.
愛德華伸出手按住我的手。
"Pull over," he said as the house, and Charlie, disappeared behind us.
“把車停在路邊。”當查理和房子一同消失在車后時,他說道。
"I can drive," I said through the tears pouring down my cheeks.
“我能開。”我說著,眼淚在我的臉頰上肆意地流淌著。
His long hands unexpectedly gripped my waist, and his foot pushed mine off the gas pedal. He pulled me across his lap, wrenching my hands free of the wheel, and suddenly he was in the driver's seat. The truck didn't swerve an inch.
他長長的胳膊出人意料地抱住我的腰,他的腳把我的腳從油門上擠到一邊去。他把我從他的膝上抱過去,解開我緊握著方向盤的雙手。忽然間,他已經坐到了駕駛員的位置上。卡車甚至沒有偏離原來的方向哪怕一英寸的距離。
"You wouldn't be able to find the house," he explained.
“你找不到我家的房子。”他解釋到。
Lights flared suddenly behind us. I stared out the back window, eyes wide with horror.
燈光忽然從我們車后照上來。我看著車后窗,眼睛因為驚恐而睜得大大的。
"It's just Alice," he reassured me. He took my hand again.
“那只是愛麗絲。”他向我保證道。他又牽住了我的手。
My mind was filled with the image of Charlie in the doorway. "The tracker?"
我的腦海里全是查理站在車道上的情景。“追獵者呢?”
"He heard the end of your performance," Edward said grimly.
“他聽到了你的演出的最后部分。”愛德華冷酷地說道。
"Charlie?" I asked in dread.
“查理呢?”我恐懼地問道。
"The tracker followed us. He's running behind us now."
“追獵者正跟著我們。現在他正緊隨在我們身后跑著。”
My body went cold.
我的身子開始發冷。
"Can we outrun him?"
“我們跑得過他嗎?”
"No." But he sped up as he spoke. The truck's engine whined in protest.
“不能。”但在他說話的時候,他加速了。卡車的引擎哀號著以示伉儀。
My plan suddenly didn't feel so brilliant anymore.
感覺上,我的計劃忽然變得得不那么盡善盡美了。

《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。