Go on,said Miss Havisham,looking interested.
繼續說,郝薇香小姐感興趣地看著我說。
I thought it was you,Miss Havisham!And you encouraged me in my mistake!
我想那是你,郝薇香小姐!你促使我犯了錯誤!
Why should I be kind to anybody after all I've suffered!cried Miss Havisham angrily.
為什么我必須仁慈地對待每個人蒙受傷害!郝薇香小姐生氣地叫喊著。
Yes,you're right,I said quickly,to calm her.But you also encouraged your relations to think I would inherit some of your fortune.
是的,你說得很對,我對她心平氣和地接著說,你也促使了你的親戚認為我會繼承你的財產。
Why shouldn't I?she cried wildly.
我為什么會這樣?她瘋了似地叫喊。
But Matthew Pocket and his son are different.They aren't selfish or greedy,they're generous and honest.I want you to know that.
不過,馬修·樸凱特和他的兒子不同,他們不是自私自利貪心的,他們是慷慨誠實的,我讓您知道這一點。
She looked carefully at me.What do you want for them?
她仔細地看著我,你為他們要什么呢?
I'm asking for money,I replied,my cheeks red.I would like you to help my friend Herbert become a partner in his company.
我要錢,我回答說,臉紅了起來,我想讓你去幫助我的朋友赫伯特在他的公司成為股東。
I started paying for this myself two years ago-and I want to keep it a secret from him,but now I find I can't continue the payments.
兩年前,我開始為這項工作自己投資,我要為此事對他保密——但是,我現在發現我不能繼續投資了。
I can't explain why.It's part of the other person's secret.
我不能解釋為什么,那是別人的一部分秘密。
Miss Havisham looked at the fire,and then at me again.
郝薇香小姐看著火爐,然后又看著我。
What else?she asked.
還有什么?她問道。
Turning to Estella,I tried to control my trembling voice.You know I love you,Estella,I said.I have loved you long and dearly.She shook her head.
我轉向艾絲黛拉,極力地控制我震顫的聲音,你知道我愛你,艾絲黛拉,我說我已經長時間地深深地愛著你。她搖了搖頭。
關于《遠大前程》
期間他還聽說了一件故事:20多年前,老處女在結婚典禮上,被弟弟亞瑟和未婚夫康生合謀騙了一大筆錢,然后整天萎靡不振,停留在過去的回憶里。