She's changed very much,hasn't she,Pip? asked Miss Havisham,laughing wickedly.
她變化很大,是嗎?匹普。郝薇香小姐惡意地笑著問,我拒絕回答。
I replied confusedly. I could see that Estella was still proud,and I knew that it was she who made me feel ashamed of home,and Joe,
我能看出,艾絲黛拉仍然是傲慢,我知道是她讓我為我的家和喬感到羞愧。
but I also knew that I could never stop loving her.
但是,我也知道,我永遠不能停止愛她。
She and I walked in the ancient garden,talking quietly about our childhood meetings.
我和她在那個古老的花園里散步,平靜地談論著童年發生的事情。
Now that we were adults,she seemed to accept me as a friend.I could not have been happier.
現在我們都是成年人了,她好像接受我作為一個朋友。
I felt sure Miss Havisham had chosen us for each other.
我高興不起來,我確信郝薇香小姐在捉弄我們,
What a fool I was!
我是一個大傻瓜!
Suddenly she stopped and turned to me.Miss Havisham may want us to spend more time together in future.
突然,她停住腳步轉向我,郝薇香小姐可能讓我們在將來一起度過更多的時光。
But in that case I must warn you that I have no heart.I can never fall in love.
但是,在那種情況下,我必須警告你,我沒興趣,我永遠也不會墜入愛河。
I can't believe that,I replied. As she looked straight at me,I recognized something in her face.
我不能相信這些,我回答說,當她直勾勾地看著我時,從她的臉上我認清了一些事情。
Had I seen that ex-pression recently,on another woman?
最近我在其他女人臉上看到過那樣的表情嗎?
When we went back to the house,Miss Havisham spoke to me alone.Do you admire her,Pip? she asked eagerly.
當我們回到那座房子時,郝薇香小姐單獨對我說,你喜歡她嗎?匹普。她熱切地問。
Everbody who sees her must admire her.
人人見了都會喜歡她的。
She pulled my head down to hers with her bony arm and whispered,Love her,love her,love her!
她用那骨瘦如柴的手臂拽低我的頭,小聲對我說:愛她,愛她,愛她!
If she likes you,love her! If she hurts you,love her! If she tears your heart to pieces,love her!
如果她喜歡你,愛她!如果她傷害你,愛她!如果她把你的心撕成碎片,愛她!
I could feel the muscles on her thin arm round my neck.
我能感覺到她那摟著我脖子的瘦臂肌肉。
She seemed so angry that she could have been talking about hate,or revenge,or death,rather than love.
她好像提起恨、報復、死而不是愛十分忿怒。
關于《遠大前程》期間他還聽說了一件故事:20多年前,老處女在結婚典禮上,被弟弟亞瑟和未婚夫康生合謀騙了一大筆錢,然后整天萎靡不振,停留在過去的回憶里。