I visited the President every day during my stay,and soon got used to seeing the ghosts.
我在逗留期間天天去拜訪總統,不久就習慣了看鬼魂。
One day the President said,Gulliver,would you like to call a ghost?
有一天總統說,格列佛,你想不想叫一個鬼魂來?
It could be anyone from the beginning of the world up to the present day.
可以從世界開始那一時刻起直到現在的任何一個。
You could ask them questions about their lives.And you can be sure they'll tell the truth—ghosts always do.
你可以問他們關于他們一生的問題。而且你可以肯定他們會告訴實情——鬼魂總是這樣的。
That's very kind of you,sir,I replied,and thought hard for a moment.
非常感謝你,先生。我回答說,費力地考慮了一會,
First,I'd like to see Alexander the Great,please.'
首先,我想見亞歷山大大帝,拜托。
The President pointed out of the window.
總統向窗外一指,
There in a large field was the ghost of Alexander,with his huge army.
那兒,在一個大的戰場上出現了亞歷山大大帝的鬼魂,
This famous king lived long ago in Macedonia in northern Greece.
以及他龐大的軍隊。這個偉大的國王很久以前生活在北希臘的馬其頓。
His kingdom covered many countries,from Greece to Egypt,from Persia to parts of India.
他的王國包括許多國家,從希臘到埃及,從波斯到印度的部分地區,
But he died very young,when he was only thirty-three,and no one knew why.
但是他很年輕就死了,只活了33歲,
The President called him into the room.
誰也不知道為什么。總統叫他進屋來。
Great King,I said to him,just tell me one thing.Were you murdered,or did you die naturally!
偉大的國王,我對他說,只告訴我一件事,你是被謀殺的還是自然死亡?
Young man,he replied,nobody murdered me.I drank too much and died of a fever.
年輕人,他回答說,沒有人謀殺我,我喝得太多,死于熱病。
關于《格列佛游記》
格列佛離開拉格多—到達馬爾多納達—沒有便船可坐—短途航行到達格勒大錐—受到當地行政長官的接待。