I wondered whether I would have to teach Joe from the beginning,so I asked,How do you write Gargery,Joe?
我不知道是否必須從頭教喬,所以,我問道,你寫出葛吉瑞。喬,怎么樣?
I don't write it at all,said Joe.But,you know,I am fond of reading.
我一點也不會寫,喬說,但是,你知道,我愛好讀,
Give me a good book or newspaper,a good fire and I ask no more.
給我一本好書或者報紙,一盆爐火,不要更多。
Well!When you come to a J and an O,how interesting reading is!
喂!當你寫出一個J和O,讀它多么有趣呀!
Didn't you ever go to school,Joe,when you were young?
喬,你小時候未曾上過學?
No,Pip.You see,my father drank a lot,and when he drank,he used to hit my mother,and me too,sometimes.
沒有,匹普,你知道,我爸爸酗酒,當他酗酒時,常打我媽媽,有時候也打我。
So she and I ran away from him several times.And she used to say,Now,Joe,you can go to school.
因此,她和我幾次逃離他,她過去對我說,唉,喬,你能上學了。
But my father had such a good heart that he didn't want to be without us.
可是,我爸爸有如此的好心,他不能沒有我們。
So he always came to find us,and took us home,and hit us.
因此,他總是來找我們,并把我們帶回家,繼續揍我們。
So you see,Pip,I never learnt much.
這樣你就明白了,匹普,我一點也沒學習過。
Poor Joe!
可憐的喬!
But remember,Pip,my father had a good heart.
但是記住,匹普,我爸爸有一副好心腸。
I wondered about that,but said nothing.
這話讓我驚奇,但是沒說什么。
He let me become a blacksmith,which was his job too,only he never worked at it.I earned the money for the family,until he died.
他讓我當了一名鐵匠,鐵匠也是他的工作,只是他從來不干這活。
And listen to this,Pip,I wanted to put this on his gravestone:
直到他死,都是我為家里掙錢。聽著這一點,匹普,在他的墓碑上我要這樣寫:
Whatever the fault he had from the start,
無論怎樣的過失,他是創家立業的。

關于《遠大前程》
兩人一起要挾他,而康生知道自己沒有雇傭打手,來不及殺人滅口,如果康生選擇和老處女結婚,他們就把這事捅出去,康生就會失去老處女的信任和財產,一無所有。