I hope we don't find those poor men,Joe,I whispered.
我希望我們找不到那些可憐的人,喬,我小聲說道。
I hope not either,Pip,he whispered back.It was cold,with an east wind blowing from the sea,and it was getting dark.
我也希望那樣,匹普,他小聲回敬了我一句。從大海刮來東風,天氣很冷,夜幕降臨了。
Suddenly we all stopped.We heard shouts in the distance.
突然,我們大家停止了前進,我們聽到遠方的嚎叫聲。
This way!Run!the officer ordered,and we all rushed in that direction.
這個方向!追!軍官命令道。我們迅速向喊聲方向奔去。
The shouts became clearer.
嚎叫聲越來越近,
Murder!Escaped convict!Help!
謀殺!逃犯!救命呀!
At last we discovered two men fighting each other.
最后我們發現了兩個人在互相廝打著。
One was my convict,and the other was the man who had run away when I had seen him near the shelter.
一個是我幫助的那個囚犯,另一個是我在遮蔽體見過的那個逃竄的小伙子。
Somehow the soldiers held the men apart and put the hand-cuffs on them.
不曉得什么緣故,士兵們把兩人分開,并一一戴上手銬。
Here he is,I'm holding him for you!shouted my convict.
他在這兒,是我為你們抓住的!我的那個囚犯喊著。
Officer,he tried to murder me!cried the other man.
軍官,他企圖殺害我!另一個囚犯哭喊著,
His face was bleeding and he was clearly very frightened.
他的臉上流著血,很明顯,他非常驚恐。
Murder him!No,said the first, that would be too easy.
想殺害他!不,第一個逃犯說,殺他太容易了,
I want him to suffer more,back on the prison-ship.
我要讓他多受受折磨,送回船上監獄。
He's lying,as he did at our trial!You can't trust Compeyson!
他在說謊,因為他在試探我們!你們不要相信康培生!
Just then he noticed me for the first time.I shook my head at him,to show that I had not wanted the soldiers to find him.
這時,他第一次發現了我,我向他搖了搖頭,表示并不是我讓士兵們找到了他的。
He stared at me,but I did not know if he understood or not.
他盯著我,我不知道他是否明白我的意思。
The prisoners were taken to the riverside,where a boat was waiting to take them on to the prison-ship.
逃犯們被帶到河邊,那兒有一只小船正等著把他們送到船上監獄。
Just as he was about to leave,my convict said,Officer,after my escape,I stole some food,from the blacksmith's house.
正在他離開的時候,我的那個囚犯說:軍官,我逃跑后,我從鐵匠家里偷了些吃的,
Bread,cheese,brandy and a meat pie.
面包、黃油、白蘭地和一塊肉餅,
I'm sorry I ate your pie,blacksmith.
我很抱歉,我吃了你的肉餅,鐵匠。
I'm glad you did,replied Joe kindly.
你這樣做我很高興,喬很客氣地說,
We don't know why you're a convict,but we wouldn't want you to die of hunger.
我們并不知道為什么你是一名罪犯,可我們總不能讓你餓死。
The man rubbed his eyes with the back of his dirty hand.
這個罪犯用他的臟手背揉擦著眼睛,
We watched the small boat carry him out to the middle of the river,where the great black prison-ship stood high out of the water,held by its rusty chains.
我們望著那只小船,把他帶進河中央。在那里,依靠著生銹的鐵錨鏈固定在突出水面的那艘大黑牢船上。
He disappeared into the ship,and I thought that was the last I had seen of him.
他被押進船里,消失得無影無蹤。我心想,這是我見他最后一面了。

關于《遠大前程》
期間他還聽說了一件故事:20多年前,老處女在結婚典禮上,被弟弟亞瑟和未婚夫康生合謀騙了一大筆錢,然后整天萎靡不振,停留在過去的回憶里。