Before we eat,let us thank God for the food in front of us,said Mr Wopsle,in the deep voice he used in church.
我們進餐之前,讓我們感謝上帝賜給我們面前的食物,伍甫賽先生以他在教堂常用的低沉語調說。
Do you hear that?whispered my sister to me.Be grateful!
你聽見了嗎?姐姐耳語對我說,感謝!
Especially,said Mr Pumblechook firmly,be grateful,boy,to those who brought you up by hand.
特別是,潘波趣先生堅定地說,孩子,要感謝那些把你親手帶大的人。
Why are the young never grateful?wondered Mr Wopsle sadly.
為什么這個小家伙從來沒有感激之情呀?驚奇的伍甫賽先生不解地問。
Their characters are naturally bad,answered Mr Pumblechook,and all three looked unpleasantly at me.
他們的品行就是天生的壞,潘波趣先生回答說,三個人不愉快地看著我。
When there were guests,Joe's position was even lower than usual,but he always tried to help me if he could.
當有客人的時候,喬的地位甚至比平時還要低,但是,他總是盡最大努力設法幫助我。
Sometimes he comforted me by giving me extra gravy.
有時,他用給我額外添的點肉汁來安慰我。
He did that now.
現在,他就是這樣做的。
Just imagine,boy,said Mr Pumblechook,if your sister hadn't brought you up—
正走神呢,孩子,潘波趣先生說,如果不是你姐姐親手把你帶大…
You listen to this,said my sister to me crossly.
你聽著,我姐姐不高興地對我說。
If,as I say,she hadn't spent her life looking after you,where would you be now?
如果像我說的,不是她花費很大的精力照顧你,你現在還不知在哪兒呢?
Joe offered me more gravy.
喬又給我加了一些肉湯。
He was a lot of trouble to you,madam,Mr Wopsle said sympathetically to my sister.
他給你添了不少麻煩,夫人,伍甫賽先生對我姐姐同情地說。
Trouble?she cried.Trouble?And then she started on a list of all my illnesses,accidents and crimes,while everybody except Joe looked at me with disgust.
麻煩?她喊了起來,麻煩?接著她開始羅列了一堆我的生病、意外及干的壞事,除了喬,其他人都用反感的目光瞅著我。
Joe added more gravy to the meat swimming on my plate,and I wanted to pull Mr Wopsle's nose.
喬又添了些肉湯,使那塊肉在我盤子里漂浮著,我真想揪伍甫賽先生的鼻子。

關于《遠大前程》
但他知道這樣下去是無法超越埃·斯黛拉的,于是只好作了鐵匠,然而突然有一天,郝維辛小姐的御用律師前來,說有個神秘人要把財產全部留給皮普,并帶他去倫敦接受禮儀交際的教育,皮普很高興自己終于能有好的前途了。