Oh!Don't cut my throat,sir!I begged in terror.
噢!先生,不要殺我!我害怕地乞求著。
Tell me your name,boy!Quick!he said,still holding me.And show me where you live!
小子,告訴我你叫什么名字!快點!他仍然抓著我說,指給我`看你住在哪兒!
My name's Pip,sir.And I live in the village over there.
先生,我叫匹普,我住在那邊的村莊里。
He picked me up and turned me upside-down.
他抓起我,又把我按倒在地。
Nothing fell out of my pocket except a piece of old bread.He ate it in two bites,like a dog,and put me back on the gravestone.
我的口袋里除了一塊剩面包則一無所有,他狼吞虎咽地吃下兩口,又把我放回墓石上。
So where are your father and mother?he asked.
那么,你的爸爸媽媽在哪兒?他問道。
There,sir,I answered,pointing to their graves.
先生,在那兒,我指著那里的墳墓回答。
What!he cried,and was about to run,when he saw where I was pointing.Oh!he said.
當他看到我所指的地方時,什么!他叫起來拔腿就跑。噢!他說,
I see.They're dead.Well,who do you live with,if I let you live,which I haven't decided yet?
我明白了,他們已經死了。嘿,你跟誰一起生活?但是,我是否讓你活著還沒決定。
With my sister,sir,wife of Joe Gargery,the blacksmith.
和我姐姐在一起,先生,鐵匠喬·葛吉瑞的妻子。
Blacksmith,you say?And he looked down at his leg.
你說,鐵匠?他低下頭看看自己的腿,
Then he held me by both arms and stared fiercely down into my eyes.
然后抱住我,用兇狠的眼光盯著我的雙眼。
Now look here.You bring me a file.
你看這兒,給我帶把銼子來,
You know what that is?
你知道什么是銼嗎?
And you bring me some food.
再給我弄點吃的,
If you don't,or if you tell anyone about me,
如果你辦不到,或者把我的情況告訴別人,
I'll cut your heart out.
我會挖出你的心臟來。

關于《遠大前程》
此小說貫切了狄更斯文以載道的風格,透過劇中孤兒的跌宕起落,表達他對生命和人性的看法。該小說自1860年12月到1861年8月連載于作者制作的周刊《一年四季》,百年來被多次改編成電影、電視劇及舞臺劇。