When they came down the steps again, the Toad was still talking excitedly to the Mole.
當他們再次踩踏腳板下來時,蛤蟆仍興奮地對鼴鼠說:
So you see, everything is ready for when we start this afternoon.
你看見了,一切已準備就緒,我們今天下午就出發。
What was that? said the Rat slowly. Did you sayweand startandthis afternoon?
你說什么?水鼠慢慢地說,你是說‘我們’‘今天下午’‘出發’?
Now, dear good old Ratty, said Toad quickly, dont talk in that cross voice.
好了,親愛的好阿鼠,蛤蟆急忙說,不要用那種厲害的口氣說話,
You know you've got to come. You cant stay by your boring old river all your life.
你知道,你該有所進展了,你不能一輩子呆在你那條乏味的老河邊,
I want to show you the world!
我想帶你看看外面的世界!
I dont care, said the Rat calmly. Im not coming, and thats final.
我不在乎,水鼠平靜地說,我不想有所改變,這就是我最終的決定,
I'm going to stay by my old river, and whats more, Moles going to stay with me, aren't you, Mole?
我將呆在我的老河旁,另外,鼴鼠將和我呆在一起,是不是,鼴鼠?
Of course I am, said the Mole bravely. But his face looked sad.
當然,是這樣,鼴鼠勇敢地說,但卻顯得有些垂頭喪氣,
Poor Mole! He thought that life in a caravan on the open road would be an exciting adventure.
可憐的鼴鼠!他想:坐在大篷車里走在寬敞的公路上的生活一定是很刺激有趣的經歷。
The Rat saw his sad face and felt worried. He liked his friends to be happy and he could see that the Mole really wanted to go.
水鼠看著他那傷感的樣子,很擔心。他希望他的朋友開心快樂,他能看出鼴鼠真的想去。
Toad watched them both carefully. Come in and have some lunch, he said pleasantly, and well talk it over.
癩蛤蟆審視著他們倆,然后愉快地說:進來用點午餐,然后再聊這事。
During lunch-which was excellent, of course, because everything at Toad Hall always was-the Toad talked and talked.
就餐時—午餐當然是一流的,因為蛤蟆宅第的一切總是如此—癩蛤蟆說個沒完。
He was full of wonderful plans.
他滿腦子美妙的計劃,
How interesting each day would be! What adventures the three friends would have together!
每一天都將多么有趣!他們三位朋友在一起將會有多么刺激興奮的經歷!
Ah, the happiness of the travelling life!
啊,幸福的旅行生活!

關于《風雨河岸柳》
它不同于一般的童話,而是將有關人情世故的詼諧表述和富于童趣的描述糅合在一起,細細揣摩別有一番韻味。