There was just a long line of bubbles in the river.
河面上僅僅留下了一長串水泡。
The Rat sang a little song to himself, and the Mole remembered that it was not at all polite, in the animal world, to say anything if your friends disappeared at any moment, for any reason.
水鼠自個兒哼著歌,鼴鼠記起來了:在動物世界里,不管你的朋友在何時為何事突然消失,你都不能發表任何看法,否則就會被視為無禮。
'Well, well, 'said the Rat. I suppose we should think about getting home.
好了,好了,水鼠說。我想我們該準備回家了。
The Mole packed the things away in the lunch basket, and soon the Rat began to row gently homewards while the after noon sun went down behind the trees.
鼴鼠把東西收拾到午餐籃里,很快水鼠就開始輕松地劃著船回去了。午后的太陽已落在樹后,
The Rat was dreaming quietly to himself, but the Mole was very full of lunch and the excitements of the day.
水鼠在那兒一聲不吭沉浸在自己的夢中,鼴鼠則滿肚子的午餐,滿腦子的興奮。
He began to think that he knew every thing about boats now.
他開始認為他現在完全了解船了。
And in a while he said, Ratty! Pleas, I want to row!
過了一會,他說:阿鼠!拜托,我想劃船!
The Rat shook his head with a smile.
水鼠微笑著搖搖頭。
Not yet, my young friend, he said.
還不行,我年輕的朋友,他說。
Wait until you've had a few lessons.
等你學了幾招再劃,
It's not as easy as it looks.
這并不像看起來那么簡單。
The Mole was quiet for a minute or two. But he wanted to row very much indeed.
鼴鼠安靜了一兩分鐘,但是他確實非常想劃船,
He was sure that he could row as well as Rat.
他相信他能劃得像水鼠那樣好。
Then, before the Rat could stop him, he jumped up, and pulled the oars out of the surprised Rat's hands.
緊接著,他跳了起來,水鼠還沒來得及阻止,他已從吃驚的水鼠手中抽過船槳。
The Rat fell backwards off his seat, calling out, Stop it, you silly fellow! You'll have us in the river!
水鼠從座位上摔了下來,叫道:停下,你這傻蛋!你會把我們弄下水的!

關于《風雨河岸柳》
這種表現方式,更加深入人心,也更容易被讀者接受。在書中,作者細細地描寫了季節的流轉、大自然的變化,以及動物們生活中發生的點點滴滴,生動地刻畫了縈繞在柳林中的那份深刻的友誼與溫情。