"Why?" I was shocked, but she didn't understand my reaction.
“為什么?”我震驚了,但她誤解了我的反應。
"He's so… intimidating. I wouldn't know what to say to him." She made a face, probably remembering this morning or last night, when he'd turned the overwhelming force of his eyes on her.
“他太……嚇人了。我不知道該怎么形容他。”她做了個鬼臉,大概想起了今天早上或者昨晚的事,那時候他把那種充滿了壓倒性的魔力的眼神施展到了她身上。
"I do have some trouble with incoherency when I'm around him," I admitted.
“當我在他身旁的時候,我確實很難讓自己保持理性。”我坦承道。
"Oh well. He is unbelievably gorgeous." Jessica shrugged as if this excused any flaws. Which, in her book, it probably did.
“哦是的。他俊美得不可思議。”杰西卡聳聳肩,就像這是某種可以原諒的缺點一樣。這個,在她的字典里,也許是這樣。
"There's a lot more to him than that."
“他不僅僅是這樣。”
"Really? Like what?"
“真的?例如?”
I wished I had let it go. Almost as much as I was hoping he'd been kidding about listening in.
我希望我能把這話說出來。這種愿望幾乎和我所希望的他只是開玩笑說要偷聽一樣強烈。
"I can't explain it right… but he's even more unbelievable behind the face." The vampire who wanted to be good — who ran around saving people's lives so he wouldn't be a monster… I stared toward the front of the room.
“我沒法確切地解釋……但他比表面上看起來的還要讓人難以置信。”一個想要做個好人的吸血鬼——他四處奔忙,去拯救別人的性命,那樣他就不會是一個怪物了……我注視著教室的前方。
"Is that possible?" She giggled.
“這可能嗎?”她咯咯地笑了起來。
I ignored her, trying to look like I was paying attention to Mr. Varner.
我不去理會她,試圖裝出正在專心聽溫納老師講課的樣子。
"So you like him, then?" She wasn't about to give up.
“那么,你是喜歡他的咯?”她不打算放棄。
"Yes," I said curtly.
“是的。”我簡略地說道。
"I mean, do you really like him?" she urged.
“我是說,你真的喜歡他?”她催促著。
"Yes," I said again, blushing. I hoped that detail wouldn't register in her thoughts.
“是的。”我嘆息著說道,兩頰飛紅。我希望她沒有把這個細節納入她的思路里。
She'd had enough with the single syllable answers. "How much do you like him?"
她受夠了這種單音節的回答。“你有多喜歡他?”
"Too much," I whispered back. "More than he likes me. But I don't see how I can help that." I sighed, one blush blending into the next.
“非常喜歡。”我向她耳語道。“比他對我的喜歡還要多。但我不知道該怎么辦。”我嘆息著,羞怯一陣接一陣涌上我的臉來。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。