I know, I agreed. Wow didn't even cover it.
“我知道。”我很贊同。“哇”根本不足以概括它。
Wait! Her hands flew up, palms toward me like she was stopping traffic. Has he kissed you?
“等等!”她飛快地伸出手,掌心沖著我,就好像她在攔截車流一樣。“他吻你了嗎?”
No, I mumbled. It's not like that.
“沒有。”我含糊地說道。“根本沒那回事。”
She looked disappointed. I'm sure I did, too.
她看上去很失望。我敢肯定,我也是。
Do you think Saturday… ? She raised her eyebrows.
“你覺得星期六……?”她揚起眉毛。
I really doubt it. The discontent in my voice was poorly disguised.
“我相當懷疑。”很難掩飾我聲音里的不滿。
What did you talk about? She pushed for more information in a whisper.
“你們都說了些什么?”她耳語道,迫切地想要知道更多詳情。
Class had started but Mr. Varner wasn't paying close attention and we weren't the only ones still talking.
已經開始上課了,但溫納老師沒怎么注意我們倆,教室里不止我們一對在說話。
I don't know, Jess, lots of stuff, I whispered back. We talked about the English essay a little.
“我不知道,杰西。說了很多話。”我對她耳語道。“我們稍微討論了一下英語課的論文。
A very, very little. I think he mentioned it in passing.
”非常,非常少。我想他曾經提到過這個。
Please, Bella, she begged. Give me some details.
“求你了,貝拉,”她懇求道。“再跟我說得詳細些。”
Well… okay, I've got one. You should have seen the waitress flirting with him
“嗯……好吧。我想到了一個。你真應該看看那個女招待是怎么向他賣弄風情的
it was over the top. But he didn't pay any attention to her at all. Let him make what he could of that.
簡直太過分了。但他根本沒注意到她。”讓他自行理解這件事吧。
That's a good sign, she nodded. Was she pretty?
“這是個好兆頭。”她點點頭。“她漂亮嗎?”
Very — and probably nineteen or twenty.
“非常漂亮——大概是十九歲或者二十歲的樣子。”
Even better. He must like you.
“更好了。他一定很喜歡你。”
I think so, but it's hard to tell. He's always so cryptic, I threw in for his benefit, sighing.
“我也是這樣想的。但這實在很難說。他總是含糊其辭。”為著他的緣故,我嘆息著,加上了這句。
I don't know how you're brave enough to be alone with him, she breathed.
“我不知道你是怎么有勇氣和他獨處的。”她喘息著說。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。