The fog had almost dissolved by the end of the second hour, but the day was still dark with low, oppressing clouds. I smiled up at the sky.
第二堂課結束的時候,霧已經散得差不多了,但天空依然陰沉沉的,云層低低地壓在天邊。我微笑地看著天空。
Edward was right, of course. When I walked into Trig
當然,愛德華是對的。當我走進三角函數教室的時候,
Jessica was sitting in the back row, nearly bouncing off her seat in agitation.
杰西卡正坐在最后一排,興奮得幾乎要從座位上跳起來了。
I reluctantly went to sit by her, trying to convince myself it would be better to get it over with as soon as possible.
我勉強走過去坐到她旁邊,努力說服自己該來的總是要來的,不如讓它早些了結。
Tell me everything! she commanded before I was in the seat.
“告訴我每件事!”我還沒坐下來,她就命令道。
What do you want to know? I hedged.
“你想知道什么?”我不想正面回答她。
What happened last night?
“昨晚發生了什么事?”
He bought me dinner, and then he drove me home.
“他帶我去吃晚餐,然后他開車送我回家。”
She glared at me, her expression stiff with skepticism. How did you get home so fast?
她瞪著我,板起的臉上寫滿了懷疑。“你怎么會那么快到家呢?”
He drives like a maniac. It was terrifying. I hoped he heard that.
“他開起車來像個瘋子。那太嚇人了。”我希望他能聽到這句話。
Was it like a date — did you tell him to meet you there?
“那像是個約會——你告訴他在那里和你見面嗎?”
I hadn't thought of that. No — I was very surprised to see him there.
我完全沒有想到這一點。“不——看到他時我嚇了一跳。”
Her lips puckered in disappointment at the transparent honesty in my voice.
她撅起嘴,對我話里再明白不過的坦誠很是失望。
But he picked you up for school today? she probed.
“可他今天去接你來上學了?”她試探著。
Yes — that was a surprise, too. He noticed I didn't have a jacket last night, I explained.
“是的——那也很讓人意外。他注意到我昨晚沒穿夾克。”我解釋道。
So are you going out again?
“那么你們會再一起出去嗎?”
He offered to drive me to Seattle Saturday because he thinks toy truck isn't up to it — does that count?
“他主動提出載我去西雅圖,因為他覺得那玩意兒,就是我那輛卡車,沒法撐到那里——這算嗎?”
Yes. She nodded.
“算。”她點點頭。
Well, then, yes.
“嗯,那,是的。”
W-o-w. She exaggerated the word into three syllables. Edward Cullen.
“嗚-哇-哦。”她夸張地把這個詞拖成三個音節。“愛德華·卡倫。”
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。