Jo saw the sadness in his eyes.
瓊看到了他眼中的悲傷。
Why dont you come over and see us?
你干嗎不到我家來看我們?
Would your grandfather let you?
你祖父會讓你來嗎?
Perhaps,if your mother asked him,said Laurie.
可能,如果你母親跟他講的話,羅瑞說,
He spends a lot of time among his books,and Mr Brooke,my tutor,doesnt live here.
他花很多時間看書,而我的家庭教師布魯克先生不住在這兒,
So I havent anyone to go out with.Do you like your school?
所以沒人和我一起出去。你喜歡你的學校嗎?
I dont go to school.I go out to work-to my aunts,said Jo.
我沒上學。我去工作—到我姑媽家,瓊回答。
She described the difficult old lady and made him laugh with her stories.
她描述了那個難纏的老太太,她的故事讓他發笑。
She told him all about her sisters,the plays they acted,and their hopes and fears for their father.
她告訴他關于她的姐妹的所有事,她們演過的劇,以及她們對父親的期盼和擔憂。
Then they talked about books, and Jo discovered that Laurie loved them as much as she did.
然后他們談到了書籍,瓊發現羅瑞像她一樣愛書。
Come and see our library,he said.Grandfather is out,so you neednt be afraid.
到我們的圖書室來,他說。祖父出門了,所以你不用怕。
I m not afraid of anything, replied Jo.
我什么也不怕,瓊答道。
He took her down to a room where the walls were covered with books and pictures.
他帶她來到樓下的一個房間,那里四壁都為書籍和畫所遮蓋。
You should be the happiest boy in the world!said Jo,sitting in a big armchair and looking round.
你應該是世界上最幸福的男孩!瓊嘆道,邊說邊坐進一張大扶手椅,環顧四周。
A person cant live on books,he said.
一個人不能靠書生活,他說。

關于《金銀島》
書中的女主角喬是作者的影子,寫來更具光彩。她生性豪放,強調自我奮斗。當初父親馬奇先生因為幫助一個不幸的朋友而失去家產,兩個大的女孩懇求父母讓她們自己謀生。