Suddenly,a bell rang.
突然,鈴響了。
Jo jumped up out of the chair.It's your grand father!she said.
瓊從椅子上跳起來。是你祖父!她說。
What if it is?said Laurie, with a smile.You're not afraid of anything, remember?
是又怎樣?羅瑞笑著說,你什么都不怕,記得嗎?
Perhaps I am a little bit afraid of him,said Jo.
也許我有一點點怕他,瓊說。
The servant came in at that moment.The doctor is here to see you,sir,she said to Laurie.
此時仆人走進來。醫生來看您了,先生,她對羅瑞說。
Can I leave you for a minute or two, Jo?he said.
我能離開一兩分鐘嗎,瓊?他說。
Yes, Im very happy here,said Jo.
可以,我很高興呆在這兒,瓊答道。
He went away and Jo was staring at a large picture of the old gentleman when the door opened again without turning,she said,I wont be afraid of him,
他走開了。當瓊正在端詳那位老先生的一大幅畫像時,門又開了。她沒有轉過身,說道:我不害怕他,
because hes got kind eyes,although his mouth looks hard and cold.
因為雖然他的嘴巴看上去又硬又冷,他的眼睛卻很和善。
He's not as handsome as my grandfather, but I like him.
他不像我祖父那么英俊,可我喜歡他。
Thank you,said a deep voice behind her.
謝謝你,她背后有一個深沉的聲音說。
She turned quickly-and saw old Mr Laurence!
她很快轉過身—看到了老勞倫斯先生!
Jos face turned a bright red and she wanted to run away.
瓊的臉變得通紅,她想跑掉。
But the old mans eyes looked kinder than those in the picture and seemed to have a smile in them.
可那位老先生的眼睛看上去比畫像里的還要和善,好像還帶著笑意。
關于《小婦人》
喬去了叔婆家伺候老人。在那里喬發現了有間放了許多好書的藏書室,叔婆打盹或接待來賓時,喬就鉆入這個清靜之處,貪婪地看著詩歌、傳奇、歷史、游記。