Chapter 1 Four sisters
第1章 四姐妹
Christmas wont be Christmas without any presents,said Jo crossly.
如果沒有禮物,圣誕節就徒有其名,瓊生氣地說。
Its so awful to be poor!agreed Meg,looking at her old dress.
貧窮真是糟糕透了!麥格邊看著她的舊衣裙邊表示贊同。
Its not right for some girls to have pretty things,and others to have nothing at all,said little Amy.
有些女孩子有漂亮的東西,而其他人卻什么都沒有,這太不應該了,小艾米說。
Weve got Father and Mother,and each other,said Beth gently.
我們有父親和母親,還擁有彼此,白絲溫文爾雅地說道。
The four young faces round the fire cheered up as they thought of this,
想起這些,圍在火爐邊的四張年輕的面孔變得快樂起來,
but then Jo said sadly,We havent got Father,and we wont have him for a long time.
可然后瓊悲傷地說:我們沒有父親,我們要有很長時間都不會有他。
She didnt say perhaps never,
她并沒有說出也許永遠也不會有了這句話,
but each silently thought it,remembering that he was away at the war in the South.
但想起父親去南方打仗了,每個人都默默地想到了它。
Then Meg said,Mother says we shouldnt spend money on presents when our men are fighting a war.
然后麥格說道:媽媽說過,當我們的男人在打仗的時候我們不應該把錢花在買禮物上。
We cant expect anything from Mother or each otehr,said Jo,
我們不能期待會從母親或彼此那里得到任何禮物,瓊說,
but we only have a dollar each,and that wont help the army much.
可我們每個人都有一塊錢,這幫不了軍隊什么忙。
Lets each buy ourselves what we want, and have a little fun.
咱們每人給自己買些想要的東西高興高興吧。
We work hard to earn it.
這是咱們努力工作掙來的。

關于《小婦人》
《小婦人》由美國作家露易莎·梅·奧爾科特所著,一部以美國南北戰爭為背景,以19世紀美國新英格蘭地區的一個普通家庭四個姐妹之間的生活瑣事為藍本的帶有自傳色彩的家庭倫理小說。小說受到當時的大思想家愛默生的影響,強調了個人尊嚴與自立自律的觀念;內容平實卻細膩,結構單純而寓意深遠,富有強烈的感染力。