Lighten Up
放松心情
These days, it seems that almost all of us have something to worry about.
這些日子,似乎我們每個人都有擔心的事情。
People are frustrated and uptight about almost everything—being five minutes late,
人們對很多事情會感到沮喪和緊張——還有五分鐘就要遲到了,
having someone else show up five minutes late, being stuck in traffic,
希望對方能在五分鐘后出現,因為交通堵塞被困,
witnessing someone look at us wrong or say something wrong, paying bills,
眼睜睜地讓別人看我們出錯或說錯了什么話,
waiting in line, overcooking a meal,
買單時排很長的隊,煮飯的時間過長,
making an honest mistake—you name it, we all become upset over it.
我們眼里的無心之錯,這些都會令人感到沮喪。
The root cause for being upset is our unwillingness to accept life as being different,
感到沮喪的根本原因是我們不愿意接受生活時常的變化,
in any way, from our expectations. Very simply,
而是希望所有事都能如愿。簡單地說,
we want things to be a certain way but they are not a certain way.
我們希望事情以特定的方式發生,而不愿意接受它變化的一面。
Life is simply as it is. Perhaps Benjamin Franklin said it best:
生活原本就很簡單。也許正如本杰明·富蘭克林說的:
"Our limited perspective, our hopes and fears become our measure of life,
“我們的視野是有限的,我們的希望和恐懼成為衡量生活的標準,
and when circumstances do not fit our ideas, they become our difficulties."
當事與愿違,它們就成為生活中的困難”。
We spend our lives wanting things,
我們一生都在希望東西,
people and events to be just as we want them to be—and when they are not,
人和事情都如我們想象中的那樣發展——當他們不那樣發展,
we fight and we suffer.How do we reduce this suffering?
我們就會抗爭,就覺得痛苦。我們如何減少這樣的感受呢?
The first step in recovering from a bad mood is to admit that you have a problem.
第一步,從不好的情緒中恢復的辦法就是承認我們遇到了問題。
You have to want to change, to become more easygoing.
你不得不通過改變把問題變得容易解決。
You have to see that your own state of heart is largely of your own creation—
你必須知道一個人的心態是由自己決定的——
it is composed of the way you set up your life and the way you react to it.
它是由你創造生活的方式和你對這樣的生活的反應。