It is a relief to feel that no heart but my own can know the personal regret,
因為只有我自己才知道,在我承擔一個對別人更適合而非我自己之所欲的職務時的私自懊惱,
and bitter sorrow over which I have been borne to a position so suitable for others rather than desirable for myself.
和痛苦遺憾,感到這一點也是一種解脫。
The circumstances under which I have been called for a limited period to preside over the destinies of the Republic fill me with a profound sense of responsibility,
我被召喚來在一定期間內負責共和國命運的這一處境使我充滿深刻的責任感,
but with nothing like shrinking apprehension.I repair to the post assigned me not as to one sought,
但無任何怯弱的畏懼。但我不是通過自身尋求來履行這任命我的職務,
but in obedience to the unsolicited expression of your will,
而是服從于你們愿望的自發表達,
answerable only for a fearless,faithful,
對之只有以我的無畏、忠誠,
and diligent exercise of my best powers.
和勤勉來行使我的權力才能回報。
I ought to be,and am,truly grateful for the rare manifestation of the nation's confidence;
我應該并已經真正感謝國家對我信任的罕有證明;
but this,so far from lightening my obligations,only adds to their weight.
但這在照亮我的責任之外,也加重了其負荷。
You have summoned me in my weakness;you must sustain me by your strength.
你們已召喚了有缺點的我;你們必須以你們的力量來支持我。
When looking for the fulfillment of reasonable requirements,you will not be unmindful of the great changes which have occurred,
當尋求合理要求的實現時,你們將不會注意已發生的巨大轉變。
even within the last quarter of a century,
即使是在過去的二十五年,
and the consequent augmentation and complexity of duties imposed in the administration both of your home and foreign affairs.
以及后來國內和外交事務責任的加重和復雜。
The great objects of our pursuit as people are best to be attained by peace.
作為一個民族我們所追求的偉大目標最好是通過和平手段實現。
and are entirely consistent with the tranquillity and interests of the rest of mankind.
并和其他人民的和平和利益一致。
With the neighboring nations upon our continent we should cultivate kindly and fraternal relations.
我們要與這塊大陸的鄰國培養友好的兄弟關系。
We can desire nothing in regard to them so much as to see them consolidate their strength and pursue the paths of prosperity and happiness.
我們除了希望看到他們加強自身力量和追求繁榮幸福的路線之外不再對他們有任何欲望。
If in the course of their growth we should open new channels of trade and create additional facilities for friendly intercourse,
在他們成長的道路上我們應該打開新的貿易通道和創立額外的友誼交往設施,
the benefits realized will be equal and mutual.
將實現的利益將是與平和相互的。
Of the complicated European systems of national polity we have heretofore been independent.
在復雜的歐洲各國體系中,我們保持獨立。
From their wars,their tumults,and anxieties we have been,happily,almost entirely exempt.
我們可幸地幾乎完全地避免了他們的戰爭、動亂和焦慮。
Whilst these are confined to the nations which gave them existence,
這些只在造成它們的國家的范圍之內,
and within their legitimate jurisdiction,they can not affect us except as they appeal to our sympathies in the cause of human freedom and universal advancement.
在他們自己的合法裁定之內,它們不會影響我們,除非他們以人類自由和普遍發展的理由來請求我們。
But the vast interest of commerce are common to all mankind,
但巨大的商業利益為全人類所共有,
and the advantages of trade and international intercourse must always present a noble field for the moral influence of a great people.
而貿易和國際交往的優點必須永遠成為一個偉大人民施展道德影響的尊貴場所。
With these views firmly and honestly carried out,we have a right to expect,
當這些觀點被堅定而真正的執行,我們有權希望,
and shall under all circumstances require,prompt reciprocity.
并將在所有情況下要求迅速的結果。
The rights which belong to us as a nation are not alone to be regarded,
我們不僅要尊重我們作為一個國家而享有的權利,
but those which pertain to every citizen in his individual capacity,
也要神圣地維護屬于每個公民以其自身能力,
at home and abroad,must be sacredly mainatained.
在家鄉或是在國外的權利。
So long as he can discern every star in its place upon that ensign,
只要他能看清那旗幟上的每一顆星,
without wealth to purchase for him preferment or title to secure for him place,
即便沒有財富來買他所想要的,沒有頭銜來保證一個住地,
it will be his privilege,and must be his acknowledged right,to stand unabashed even in the presence of princes,
他也將有權力,必須被認可的權力,來挺起胸膛站在即使是王公豪貴面前,
with a proud consciousness that he is himself one of a nation of sovereigns,
并驕傲地意識到他自身是一個主權國家的一員,