For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness.
因為我們知道,我們的多元化遺產是一個優勢,而非劣勢。
We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus and non-believers.
我們國家里有基督徒也有穆斯林,有猶太教徒也有印度教徒,同時也有非宗教信徒。
We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth;
我們民族的成長受到許多語言和文化的影響,我們吸取了這個星球上任何一個角落的有益成分。
and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation,
正是因為我們民族曾親嘗過內戰和種族隔離的苦酒,
and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass;
并且在經歷了這些黑色的篇章之后變得更加強大更加團結,因此我們不由自主,只能相信一切仇恨終有一天都會成為過去,
that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve;
種族的劃分不久就會消失,
that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself;
而且隨著世界變得越來越小,我們相信終有一天人類共有的人性品德將會自動顯現;
and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.
在迎接新的和平時代到來的過程中,美國需要發揮自己的作用。
To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect.
對于穆斯林世界,我們將基于共同的利益和信仰,尋找更好的合作之路。
To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict,
對于那些在世界各個地方挑起沖突或一味批評西方不良影響的領導者:
or blame their society's ills on the west know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy.
你的人民評判你的依據是你建立了什么,而不是破壞了什么。
To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent,
對于那些依靠腐敗和欺騙并壓制異議而追求權利的人們:
know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.
你們站在了人類歷史的對立面;如果你們能張開緊握的拳頭,我們也將伸出友誼之手。
To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow;
對于那些貧窮的人們,我們保證和你們一起建設繁茂的農場和干凈的水源,
to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds.
滋養那些饑寒交迫的身體和心靈。
And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders;
對于那些與我們一樣相對富裕的國家,我們不能再對外界的苦難漠不關心,
nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect.
更不能繼續大肆索取世界的資源。
For the world has changed, and we must change with it.
世界必須改變,我們都必須改變。
As we consider the road that unfolds before us,
當我們審視前方的道路時,
we remember with humble gratitude those brave Americans who, at this very hour, patrol far-off deserts and distant mountains.
我們會感激那些跨越千山萬水來到這里的人們。
They have something to tell us today, just as the fallen heroes who lie in Arlington whisper through the ages.
今天,他們有話對我們說,也是安息在阿林頓國家公墓里的先烈們時刻提醒我們的。
We honour them not only because they are guardians of our liberty, but because they embody the spirit of service;
我們尊敬他們不僅因為是他們捍衛了我們的自由,更因為他們正是奉獻精神的化身;他
a willingness to find meaning in something greater than themselves.
們致力于尋找遠高于自身的生命真諦。
And yet, at this moment a moment that will define a generation it is precisely this spirit that must inhabit us all.
而此時,在這個特殊的時代,我們更需讓這種精神長存。
For as much as government can do and must do,
因為無論美國政府能做多少,必須做多少,
it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies.
美國國家的立國之本最終還是美國人的決心和信念。