And even after nearly 225 years, we have a long way yet to travel.
225年過去了,我們仍有很長的路要走。
While many of our citizens prosper, others doubt the promise, even the justice, of our own country.
有很多公民取得了成功,但也有人開始懷疑,懷疑我們自己的國家所許下的諾言,甚至懷疑它的公正。
The ambitions of some Americans are limited by failing schools and hidden prejudice and the circumstances of their birth.
失敗的教育,潛在的偏見和出身的環境限制了一些美國人的雄心。
And sometimes our differences run so deep, it seems we share a continent, but not a country.
有時,我們的分歧是如此之深,似乎我們雖身處同一個大陸,但不屬于同一個國家。
We do not accept this, and we will not allow it.
我們不能接受這種分歧,也無法容許它的存在。
Our unity, our union, is the serious work of leaders and citizens in every generation.
我們的團結和統一,是每一代領導人和每一個公民的嚴肅使命。
And this is my solemn pledge: I will work to build a single nation of justice and opportunity.
在此,我鄭重宣誓:我將竭力建設一個公正、充滿機會的統一國家。
I know this is in our reach because we are guided by a power larger than ourselves who creates us equal in his image.
我知道這是我們的目標,因為上帝按自己的身形創造了我們,上帝高于一切的力量將引導我們前進。
And we are confident in principles that unite and lead us onward.
對這些將我們團結起來并指引我們向前的原則,我們充滿信心。
America has never been united by blood or birth or soil.
血緣、出身或地域從未將美國聯合起來。
We are bound by ideals that move us beyond our backgrounds, lift us above our interests and teach us what it means to be citizens.
只有理想,才能使我們心系一處,超越自己,放棄個人利益,并逐步領會何謂公民。
Every child must be taught these principles. Every citizen must uphold them.
每個孩子都必須學習這些原則。每個公民都必須堅持這些原則。
And every immigrant, by embracing these ideals, makes our country more, not less, American.
每個移民,只有接受這些原則,才能使我們的國家不喪失而更具美國特色今天。
Today we affirm a new commitment to live out our nation's promise through civility, courage, compassion, and character.
我們在這里重申一個新的信念,即通過發揚謙恭、勇氣、同情心和個性的精神來實現我們國家的理想。
America, at its best, matches a commitment to principle with a concern for civility.
美國在它最鼎盛時也沒忘記遵循謙遜有禮的原則。