We will build our defenses beyond challenge, lest weakness invite challenge.
我們要防患于未然,懈怠會帶來麻煩。
We will confront weapons of mass destruction, so that a new century is spared new horrors.
我們還要阻止武器泛濫,使新的世紀擺脫恐怖的威脅。
The enemies of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America remains engaged in the world by history and by choice, shaping a balance of power that favors freedom.
反對自由和反對我們國家的人應該明白:美國仍將積極參與國際事務,力求世界力量的均衡,讓自由的力量遍及全球。這是歷史的選擇。
We will defend our allies and our interests.
我們會保護我們的盟國,捍衛我們的利益。
We will show purpose without arrogance.
我們將謙遜地向世界人民表示我們的目標。
We will meet aggression and bad faith with resolve and strength.
我們將堅決反擊各種侵略和不守信用的行徑。
And to all nations, we will speak for the values that gave our nation birth.
我們要向全世界宣傳孕育了我們偉大民族的價值觀。
America, at its best, is compassionate.
正處在鼎盛時期的美國也不缺乏同情心。
In the quiet of American conscience, we know that deep, persistent poverty is unworthy of our nation's promise.
當我們靜心思考,我們就會明了根深蒂固的貧窮根本不值得我國作出承諾。
And whatever our views of its cause, we can agree that children at risk are not at fault.
無論我們如何看待貧窮的原因,我們都必須承認,孩子敢于冒險不等于在犯錯誤。
Abandonment and abuse are not acts of God, they are failures of love.
放縱與濫用都為上帝所不容,這些都是缺乏愛的結果。
And the proliferation of prisons, however necessary, is no substitute for hope and order in our souls.
監獄數量的增長雖然看起來是有必要的,但并不能代替我們心中的希望-人人遵紀守法。
Where there is suffering, there is duty. Americans in need are not strangers, they are citizens; not problems, but priorities.
哪里有痛苦,我們的義務就在哪里。對我們來說,需要幫助的美國人不是陌生人,而是我們的公民;不是負擔,而是急需救助的對象。
And all of us are diminished when any are hopeless.
當有人陷入絕望時,我們大家都會因此變得渺小。