相關專題:
ACT III
Good morning. 早安。
What a wonderful morning! 多么美好的早晨!
Don't the flowers smell wonderful? 花兒聞起來好香,不是嗎?
Good morning, Ellen. 早安,Ellen。
Yes, they do. 是的,花兒好香。
That's why I'm reading my paper and having my coffee 這就是今天早上為什么我看報紙喝咖啡
on the patio this morning. 要在院子里。
Ah, it does smell sweet. 噢,它們確實很香。
How was your school-board meeting last night? 昨天晚上你們的聯合校董事會會議開得怎么樣?
You must've come home very late. 你一定很晚才回家。
Did you find the sandwich I made for you? 你找到我為你做的三明治了?
Thanks, dear. 謝謝,親愛的。
I was so tired 我太累了。
I didn't even finish it. 沒有能吃完它。
Philip, I've been working on this special project Philip,我一直在研擬一項特別計劃
with the school board, 和聯合校董事會一起,
and I'd like your opinion about it. 我需要你的意見。
What is it? 是個什么樣的計劃?
I've been trying to find 我一直在尋求
a way to encourage reading. 鼓勵閱讀的辦法。
Good luck! 祝你好運!
Well, I think I may have found a way to do it. 噢,我想我也許已找到一種辦法。
Tell me about it. 說給我聽吧。
I work with families every day, Ellen. 我每天的工作就是接觸一些家庭,Ellen。
I see how people spend their leisure time-- 我看到人們怎樣利用空閑時間---
young and old. 不管是年輕的還是年老的。
Mostly watching television. 大部分是看電視。
Well, that would be OK 那倒沒有什么關系。
if, and I repeat, 只要,我重復一遍,
if people took the time to read. 只要人們肯花時間去閱讀。
I couldn't agree with you more. 我徹底同意你的看法。
The question is, 問題是,
how do we get them to read more? 我們怎樣才能使他們多閱讀?
I think 我想
you're going to give me the answer to that question. 是要給我這個問題一個答案。
You have that look in your eye. 你的眼睛顯示出你已有了答案。
I do have an answer, Philip. 我確實有一個答案,Philip。
Or at least I think I do. 至少我想我有了答案。
Well, tell me about it. 那么,告訴我吧。
The plan is a simple one. 計劃很簡單。
Involve the entire family in a reading project. 讓整個家庭都參與閱讀計劃。
In the home? 在家中?
Yes, in the home. 是的,在家中。
But first in the school-rooms. 但首先是在教室里。
Hmm, interesting. 嗯,有意思。
But how do you plan to do that? 但你預備怎么做呢?
By arranging with the public schools 首先從公立學校開始
to schedule one hour a week--to start with. 安排一星期一個小時。
During that time 在那一小時
parents are invited to attend-- 家長被邀請來參加---
and to read along with the children--their children. 和孩子們---他們的孩子們一起閱讀。
It can go beyond the school system, Ellen. 這可以推廣到學校體制以外,Ellen。
Really? 真的?
I guarantee you it would go very well in the hospitals. 我保證在醫院這種計劃會推行得很好。
My patients--mostly kids-- 我的病人---大多數是孩子---
would love to read and be read to. 會喜歡閱讀并且喜歡別人讀給他們聽。
You think so? 你想會是這樣嗎?
I know so. 我確定知道是這樣。