WHO SHALL BE MAY QUEEN?
誰來做五月女王?
Phila Butler Bowman
作者菲拉·巴特勒·鮑曼
Much as we love winter with its happy times at Thanksgiving and Christmas, we are all glad when Maytime comes.
就像我們因為感恩節和圣誕節的歡樂時光而喜愛冬天一樣,我們也都很高興五月時光的到來。
What pleasure it is to find the first flowers, to see the leaves slowly come out on the trees,
找到第一批盛開的花朵,看到樹葉慢慢從樹上冒出來,
and to welcome our bird friends back from their winter homes!
歡迎我們的鳥類朋友從它們的冬季家園飛回,真是太高興了!
If you read this story carefully, you will learn some interesting things about spring.
如果你仔細閱讀這個故事,你將學到一些關于春天的趣事。
Out in the May meadow the wild grapevine was flinging itself around a slender young tree.
在五月的草地上,野生葡萄藤纏繞著一棵纖細的小樹。
"What a beautiful Maypole the grapevine has made of the tree!" said Jack-in-the-Pulpit.
“葡萄藤將這棵樹纏繞成了多么美麗的五朔節花柱?。 碧炷闲钦f。
"Let's have a May party, now that we have a Maypole."
“既然有了五朔節花柱,那我們開個歡慶五月的派對吧?!?/p>
"Hurrah!" cried the wild flowers, who at once began talking about who should be May Queen.
“好哇!”野花們喊道,他們立刻開始談論讓誰來做五月女王。
"I was the first flower up," said the Crocus.
“我是第一朵盛開的花,”番紅花說。
"I think I should be chosen."
“我想應該選我。”
"Oh, no!" said the Arbutus.
“哦,不!”楊梅說。
"I was cuddled down under my leaves, keeping warm, and saw you rubbing your eyes long after I was awake."
我蜷縮在葉子下取暖,醒后很久才看見你在揉眼睛?!?/div>
"I think it ought to be a tall flower," said the Hyacinth; "and fragrant."
“我想應該是一朵高大的花”風信子說,“而且很香?!?/div>
"Because you know you are both," laughed the Trillium;
“因為你們知道你倆都很高大,”延齡草笑著說,
"but how about the Lilac? She is taller than you and just as fragrant."
“那丁香呢?她比你高,而且也很香。”