Taking the little letter in my mouth, I climbed out of the ditch,
我嘴里含著這封小信,爬出了戰壕,
hurried across the field, which was quiet now and almost dark, and found my way back to the big car.
匆匆穿過了戰場,這里現在已經安靜下來,天也兒乎黑下來了,我摸回了那輛大汽車。
I dropped my letter at the feet of one of the men who were there,
我把信放在了那兒的一個人的腳下,
and in a short time I was leading them back over the field to my dear master's side.
很快我就帶著人又返回戰場,來到了我親愛的主人身邊。
That night we were both taken to the hospital my master with a wounded arm, and I with a broken leg.
那天晚上,我們都被送進了醫院,我的主人一只胳臂受了傷,而我的一只腿受了傷。
It's funny how a dog's leg can be broken and he not know it.
有趣的是,狗的腿是怎么受傷的,連他自己也不知道這是怎么回事。
In a few weeks my leg was well and strong again,
幾周之內,我的腿好了,又強壯了起來,
and I went back to the battlefields, where I helped save many other poor wounded soldiers.
我再次回到了戰場,在戰場上我又救了許多別的受了傷的可憐上兵。
But my master was sent home.
而我的主人卻被送回了家。
The war has now been over for a long time, and we are back at the little farm, just as happy as we can be.
現在,戰爭已經結束很長時間了。我們又回到了那間小農場,為我們的幸福各盡所能。
To be sure, I am a little lame from my broken leg, and my master has only one arm.
沒錯,我受了傷的腿有一點跛,而我的主人只有一支胳臂了。
But Francis is old enough to take care of the little farm, and I can still watch Cosette.
但是,弗朗西斯已經長大,足以照料小農場,而我仍然可以照看珂賽特。
Francis is proud of me, because an army officer put a badge around my neck for being brave.
弗朗西斯為我感到自豪,因為一位軍官因為我的勇敢將一枚勛章掛在了我的脖子上。
But I am proud only because I was able to save my masters life.
但是我僅僅因為救了主人的命而自豪。
That is worth more to me than many badges.
對我來說,這比許多勛章都更有價值。