When they were close to him, they saw that his face was kind and that his big eyes had a merry twinkle in them.
他們接近他的時候才發現他的面目和善,大眼睛里閃爍著快樂的光芒。
"Can you not speak?" asked an old man. "Tell us where you came from."
“你不會說話嗎?”一位老人問道,“告訴我們你從哪里來?!?/div>
"I cannot tell you where I came from," answered the wee man.
“我無法告訴你們我來自何處?!边@個小人兒回答說,
"My country has no name, and it is not at all like this land of yours.
“我的家鄉沒有名字,也根本不像你們這個地方。
For there, we all learn to work; while here, many people like to be lazy.
在我們那里,所有人都要學會工作;而在這兒,許多人都喜歡偷懶。
All brownies love to work.
所有的小棕仙都愛工作。
It sometimes happens that there is not enough for us to do at home.
有時候,我們家鄉沒有足夠工作的時候,
Then one of us may come to your land, to see if you need his help."
那么我們中的一個便會來到你們這個地方,看看你們有沒有什么需要幫助的。”
"Do you really like to work?" asked lazy Tom, in surprise.
“你真的喜歡工作嗎?”懶惰的湯姆驚訝地問道。
"I love to work and to help others," answered the brownie.
“我喜歡工作。喜歡幫助別人?!毙∽叵苫卮鸬溃?/div>
"He is happiest who helps others most.
“幫助別人最多的人最快樂。
If I am needed, I will stay in this place a while.
如果有人需要我,我就會在這個地方待上一段時間。
I do not want clothes, or a bed, or pay.
我不要衣服、床或報酬。
All I ask is a corner of the barn to sleep in, and a bowl of porridge at bedtime.
我要的只是谷倉的一角用來睡覺,還有在睡覺前喝一碗粥。
"If no one troubles me, I will be ready to help anyone who needs me.
如果沒有人打擾我的話,我愿意幫助任何需要我幫助的人。
I'll bring in the sheep from the hill. I'll work in the fields at night.
我會把羊從山上帶下來,我會在夜里到田間勞作。
I'll bake your bread on a busy day.
我會在你忙碌的時候幫你烤面包。
And I'll sing the babies to sleep. The babies always love me."
我還會唱歌哄寶寶睡覺。嬰兒們總是很喜歡我。