Philemon went forward, saying in the heartiest tone: "Welcome, strangers! Welcome!"
菲利蒙走上前去,用最熱誠的語氣說,歡迎你們,陌生人!歡迎你們!
"Thank you!" replied the younger of the two.
謝謝您!兩個陌生人中較為年輕的人回答說。
"This is quite another greeting than the one we have met with in the village.
這與我們在那個村莊里遇見的問候完全不同。
Those children — the little rascals! — have spattered us from head to foot with their mud-balls;
那些孩子小淘氣鬼們!用他們的泥球把我們渾身上下都弄臟了;
and one of the curs has torn my cloak, which was ragged enough already."
其中的一只惡狗撕破了我的斗篷,它已經破的不能再破了。
He was dressed in rather an odd way, with a sort of cap on his head, the brim of which stuck out over both ears.
他穿的相當奇怪,頭上帶著一種類似帽子的東西,耳朵上面的帽檐往上翹起。
Though it was summer-time, he wore a cloak.
雖然正值夏天,他卻披著斗篷。
Philemon saw, too, that he had on a strange-looking pair of shoes.
菲利蒙還看見他穿著一雙樣子奇怪的鞋。
The Marvelous Staff
不同尋常的手杖
One thing certainly seemed queer.
有一件事情看起來確實很奇怪。
The traveler was so wonderfully light and active that it appeared as if his feet sometimes rose from the ground of their own accord.
旅行者很輕快靈活,看起來好像他的腳有時候自動的從地面上升起來一樣。
"I used to be light-footed in my youth" said Philemon to the traveler.
我年輕時候的腳步也很輕快,菲利蒙對那個旅行者說。
"But I always found my feet grow heavier toward night-fall."
但是我總感覺到了傍晚以后,我的腳就越來越沉重了。
"There is nothing like a good staff to help one along," answered the stranger; "and I happen to have an excellent one, as you see."
什么也比不上一根好手杖可以一直幫助你走路。那個陌生人回答說,正如你所見,我恰好有一根非常不錯的手杖。