As the boy walked along, the day grew very hot.
男孩走著走著天變得很熱。
When he reached the fountain that his brothers had seen, he stopped to take a drink and to rest.
他到了他的兩個哥哥看到過的水源處,停下來要喝口水,休息一下。
The same old woman was washing her clothes and singing her strange little song.
那位老婦人還在水源那洗衣服,唱著奇怪的小曲。
"Here is another of those rude boys!" she thought, when she saw the youngest son.
看到窮人的小兒子,她想,又是一個無理的男孩。
"I suppose he will try to fool me, too. As if I didn't know the smell of ripe, yellow pears!"
我想他也會愚弄我吧,就好像我聞不到那熟透的黃梨的香味似的!
"Good-morning!" said the boy, in a pleasant voice.
早上好!男孩用悅耳的聲音說道。
"He is not like the other two," thought the little old woman.
他和那兩個有點不太一樣,老婦人心想。
"May I sit down here, please?" asked the boy.
請問我能坐這嗎?小男孩問道。
"Yes," she answered, very much surprised by his polite words.
可以。老婦人回答說,對他的彬彬有禮感到吃驚。
"And what have you in your basket? It must be something very fine for you to be carrying it on such a hot day as this."
你的籃子里裝的什么?這么大熱的天,你還提著它,一定是些很好的東西。
"Indeed it is very fine, " said the boy. "These are ripe pears from our garden, and my father says there are no better ones anywhere in the world.
男孩說,嗯,的確是些好東西,這些是從我們家的果園里摘的熟透了的梨子,我爸爸說世界上沒有比這更好的梨子了。
I am taking them to the king, who is very fond of the fruit."
我帶著它們去見國王,他非常喜歡梨子。
"Only ripe pears, and yet so heavy!"said the old woman, as she lifted the basket.
只有熟了的梨子,但是卻那么重。老婦人拎了拎籃子說。
"Your load seems too heavy to be pears. But you will see when you come to your journey's end."
你的東西看起來重的不像是梨子,到了旅途終點,你就會知道里面是什么了。