In the morning the youngest son went to his father and said,
一天早上,小兒子走到父親跟前說,
"There is no wood for our fire. Please let me take an ax and see what I can do."
我們沒有木材生火了,讓我拿上斧頭看看能做什么吧。
"You!" cried his father. "You do not understand wood-cutting."
你!父親叫到,你根本不知道怎么砍樹。
But the boy begged so hard that at last his father told him he might go.
但是這個男孩苦苦央求,最后他的爸爸只得讓他去了。
His mother made him a very small cake, and off he started.
他媽媽只給他做了一塊很小很小的蛋糕,然后他就出發了。
In the forest he met the same little old man, who said, "I am hungry. Will you please give me some cake?"
在森林里小兒子見到了同一位矮個子老人。老人說,我餓了,能給我些蛋糕嗎?
"Yes, indeed," answered the boy." The cake is very plain, but you are welcome to half of it."
當然可以了,男孩回答道,這個蛋糕很普通,但你可以吃一半。
Then they sat down together under a tree, and what was the boy's surprise to find that the cake in his basket was a very fine one!
于是他們一同坐在樹下,但讓這個男孩驚訝的是,籃子里的蛋糕變成了一個很精致的蛋糕!
When they had eaten it, the little man said, "You are a kind lad and shall have a reward.
他們吃完蛋糕以后,矮個子老人說,你是個善良的孩子,會有好報的。
Cut down this tree, and you will find something."
砍下這棵樹,你會發現一些東西的。
Then the little man went away.
然后矮個子老人便離開了。
The boy cut down the tree, and at the roots found a goose with feathers of shining gold!
男孩砍下了這棵樹,在樹樁處發現了一只長著閃閃發光的金羽毛的鵝!
Taking the goose under his arm, he went to an inn for the night.
他抱起這只鵝來到一家小旅館過夜。
Why The Princess Laughed
公主為何笑了
Now the inn-keeper had three daughters, and when they saw the golden goose, they wanted it.
酒店老板有三個女兒,當她們看到金鵝的時候,她們都想得到它。