Johnny-Cake
玉米餅
Once a little old woman and a little old man and a little boy lived in a little old house.
從前,一個小老太太、一個小老頭和一個小男孩住在一座破舊的小房子里。
One day the little old woman made a round johnny-cake for supper.
一天,小老太太做了一塊圓圓的玉米餅作為晚餐。
She put it into the oven.
她把它放進烤箱里。
Then she said to the little boy, "You must sit by the oven door and watch the johnny-cake. Take it out of the oven when it is done."
然后她對小男孩說,“你必須坐在烤箱門前看著玉米餅。等烤好的時候就把它拿出來”。
Then the little old woman and the little old man went out to weed the garden.
說完,小老太太和小老頭子就去給菜園除草了。
The little boy sat down to wait by the oven door.
小男孩便坐了下來,在烤箱門前等著。
All at once the oven door opened, and Johnny-cake rolled out.
突然,烤箱的門開了,玉米餅滾了出來。
He rolled across the kitchen floor and out of the house.
他滾過廚房地板,滾出了房子。
The boy ran out of the kitchen and called, "Mother! Father! Hurry! Johnny-cake is rolling away!"
小男孩跑出了廚房喊道,“媽媽!爸爸!快來啊!玉米餅滾走了”!
The little boy, the little old man, and the little old woman tried to catch Johnny-cake.
一個小男孩、一個小老頭和一個小老太太用盡全力去抓玉米餅。
They ran until they were tired, but they could not catch him.
但是,直到他們跑累了,也沒能抓住他。
Johnny-cake rolled on.
玉米餅繼續往前滾著。
He laughed and said, "This is very good fun. I roll and they run."
他笑著說,“真是太有趣了,我滾,他們追”。
Johnny-cake rolled on and on.
玉米餅往前滾啊滾、滾啊滾
Soon he came to a brown hen, who was eating corn.
不一會兒,他遇見了一只正在吃玉米的棕色母雞。
"Johnny-cake, where are you going?" asked the hen.
“玉米餅,你要到那里去啊”?母雞問道。
"I am out rolling," said Johnny-cake.
“我要滾出去”,玉米餅說。
"I have rolled away from a boy, an old woman, and an old man, and I can roll away from you, too."
“我從一個男孩、一個老太太和一個老頭的身邊逃了出來,而且我也能從你身邊逃走”。
"You can, can you?" said the hen. "I'll see about that. I think I'll just eat you up."
“你能行嗎”?母雞說道。“我倒要看看,我想我正要吃掉你”。
So the hen ran after Johnny-cake and tried to catch him. But she could not catch him.
于是,母雞追趕著玉米餅,想要抓住他。但是她沒能抓住他。
Johnny-cake laughed and said, "This is very good fun. I roll and they run."
玉米餅笑著說,“真是太有趣了,我滾,他們追”。
Soon Johnny-cake came to a cow, who was eating grass.
沒過多久,玉米餅遇到了一只正在吃草的奶牛。
"Johnny-cake, where are you going?" asked the cow.
“玉米餅,你要到那里去啊”?奶牛問道。
"I am out rolling," said Johnny-cake.
“我要滾出去”,玉米餅說。
"I have rolled away from a boy, an old woman, an old man, and a hen, and I can roll away from you, too!"
“我已經從一個男孩、一個老太太、一個老頭和一只母雞的身邊逃了出來,而且我也能從你身邊逃走”。
"You can, can you?" said the cow. "I think I'll just eat you up." But the cow could not catch him.
“你能行嗎”?奶牛說道。“我想我正要吃掉你”。但是奶牛沒能抓住他。
Johnny-cake laughed and said, "This is very good fun. I roll and they run."
玉米餅笑著說,“真是太有趣了,我滾,他們追”。
Johnny-cake went rolling on.
玉米餅繼續往前滾。
Soon he came to a fat, lazy pig, who was eating his supper.
不久,他遇到了一只又肥又懶的豬,他正在吃晚餐。
"Johnny-cake, where are you going?" asked the pig.
“玉米餅,你要到那里去啊”?豬問道。
"I am out rolling," said Johnny-cake.
“我要滾出去”,玉米餅說。
"I have rolled away from a boy, a woman, a man, a hen, and a cow, and I can roll away from you, too. I can, I can."
他再次說道,“我已經從一個男孩、一個女人、一個男人、一只母雞和一頭奶牛的身邊逃了出來,而且我也能從你身邊逃走。我能。我能”。
"I can not hear you," said the pig.
“我聽不到你說話”,母豬說。
Johnny-cake went up to him.
玉米餅來到了豬的面前。
Again he said, "I have rolled away from a boy, a woman, a man, a hen, and a cow, and I can roll away from you, too. I can, I can."
他再次說道,“我已經從一個男孩、一個女人、一個男人、一只母雞和一頭奶牛的身邊逃了出來,而且我也能從你身邊逃走。我能。我能”。
"I can not hear you," said the pig. "You are too far away from my ear."
“我聽不到你說話”,母豬說。“你離我的耳朵太遠了”。
Then Johnny-cake went right up to the pig's ear.
這時,玉米餅徑直來到豬的耳邊前。
"I will make you hear me," he said.
“我會讓你聽到我說話的”,他說。
"I have rolled away from a woman, a man, a boy, a hen, and a cow, and I can roll away from you, too."
“我已經從一個女人、一個男人、一個男孩、一只母雞和一頭奶牛的身邊逃了出來,而且我也能從你身邊逃走”。
Then jump went the pig! He caught poor Johnny-cake and ate him up.
就在這時,豬跳了起來!他抓住了可憐的玉米餅把它吃掉了。