The Lambkin
小羊羔
Once upon a time there was a wee, wee lambkin.
從前,有一只很小、很小的羊羔。
The wee lambkin jumped about on his little legs.
小羊羔常常用他那細小的腿跳來跳去。
He ate the green grass and had a fine time.
他吃著青草,過得很快樂。
One day he thought he would go to his grandmother's house.
一天,他想去奶奶家。
"I shall be very happy," he said.
“我會非常快樂的”,他說。
"Grandmother will take care of me and give me good things to eat."
“奶奶不但會照顧我,還會給我好東西吃。”
As the wee lambkin was going along the road, he met a fox.
當小羊羔正沿著馬路走的時候,他遇到了一只狐貍。
The fox liked to eat lambkins, and so he said, "Lambkin! Lambkin! I will eat you!"
狐貍喜歡吃羔羊肉,所以他說,“小羊羔!小羊羔!我要吃了你!”
But the wee lambkin jumped about on his little legs and said, "To Grandmother's house I go, Where I shall bigger grow. Then you can eat me so."
但是小羊羔用他那細小的腿跳來跳去并說道,“我要去奶奶家,我會在那里長得更大,到那時你就可以吃我啦”。
The fox liked to eat fat lambkins, and so he let the lambkin go on.
狐貍喜歡吃小肥羊,所以他放走了小羊羔。
The wee lambkin jumped about on his little legs and went on.
小羊羔用他那細小的腿跳來跳去,繼續往前走。
By and by he met a tiger. Next he met a wolf.
不一會兒,他遇到了一只老虎,然后又遇到了一只狼。
The tiger and the wolf liked to eat lambkins. So they called out, "Lambkin! Lambkin! We will eat you!"
老虎和狼都喜歡吃羔羊肉。所以他們大叫道,“小羊羔!小羊羔!我們要吃了你!”
Lambkin began to dance around on his little legs.
小羊羔用他那細小的腿跳起了舞。
He said, "To Grandmother's house I go, Where I shall bigger grow. Then you can eat me so."
他說道,“我要去奶奶家,我會在那里長得更大,到那時你們就可以吃我啦”。
The tiger and the wolf liked to eat fat lambkins.
老虎和狼喜歡吃小肥羊。
So they let the wee lambkin go on to his grandmother's to grow fat.
所以,他們讓小羊羔繼續去他奶奶家,好長得更肥一些。
Before long the wee lambkin came to his grandmother's house.
沒過多久,小羊羔來到了他奶奶家。
His grandmother was at the door.
他奶奶站在門口。
"Oh, Grandmother dear," he said, "how glad I am to see you! I want to stay with you until I grow fat."
“哦,親愛的奶奶”,他說,“很高興能見到您!我想跟您待在一起,直到我長胖為止。”
"Very well," she said, and she gave him wheat and corn to eat.
“太好了”,她說道,她給他小麥和玉米吃。
Wee Lambkin ate and ate until he grew very, very fat.
小羊羔吃啊吃啊,最后他長得非常非常地肥。
"How fat you are, Lambkin!" said his grandmother one day.
一天他奶奶說,“小羊,你真肥啊”!
"Now you must go home."
“你現在必須回家了”。
"Oh, no, no!" said Lambkin.
“啊,不回去,不回去”!小羊羔說。
"The fox or the wolf or the tiger will catch me and eat me up."
“狐貍和狼還有老虎會抓住我把我吃掉的。”
Grandmother said, "Let me think."
奶奶說,“讓我想一想”。
She thought and thought.
她想啊想,想啊想。
At last she cried, "Oh, I know what to do! We can play a good trick on the tiger, the wolf, and the fox.
最后她大聲說道,“啊,我知道該怎么做了!我們可以好好捉弄一下老虎、狼和狐貍。”
I will make a little drum for you.
我給你做一個小鼓。
You can climb into the little drum and roll home."
你可以爬進小鼓里,滾著回家。
So Grandmother made a drumkin and helped Lambkin climb into it.
于是,奶奶做了一個小鼓,然后幫著小羊羔爬了進去。
Then the wee lambkin began to roll along the road to his home.
然后,小羊羔開始沿著馬路往家滾。
Soon Lambkin met the tiger and the wolf. They cried, "Drumkin! Drumkin! Have you seen Lambkin?"
不一會兒,小羊羔遇到了老虎和狼。他們喊道,“小鼓!小鼓!你見過小羊羔嗎”?
Lambkin in his drumkin called out, "Lost in the woods, And so are you. On, little Drumkin! Tumpa-tum-too."
小羊羔在小鼓里大聲喊道,“他在森林里迷了路,你們也迷了路。啊,小鼓要走了,咚隆隆,咚隆隆”!
The tiger and the wolf were angry because they had no lambkin to eat.
因為沒有羊羔肉吃,老虎和狼非常生氣。
As Lambkin rolled along, he sang, "Tumpa-tum-too. Tumpa-tum-too."
小羊羔一邊往前滾著,一邊唱著,“咚隆隆,咚隆隆,咚隆隆。”
He went on until he met the fox.
他繼續趕著路直到遇見了狐貍。
The fox called out, "Drumkin! Drumkin! Have you seen Lambkin?"
狐貍大聲喊道,“小鼓!小鼓!你見過小羊羔嗎”?
Lambkin in his drumkin called back to him, "Lost in the woods, And so are you. On, little Drumkin! Tumpa-tum-too!"
小羊羔在小鼓里大聲回答到,“他在森林里迷了路,你也迷了路。啊,小鼓要走了,咚隆隆,咚隆隆”!
Now the fox could smell Lambkin in the drumkin, and he called out, "Lambkin! Lambkin! Come out of that drumkin!"
狐貍能聞到小鼓里的小羊羔,他大聲叫道,“小羊羔,小羊羔,快從鼓里出來!”
"Try to catch me!" said Lambkin.
“來抓我啊”!小羊說。
The fox ran after the drumkin. But the drumkin rolled faster and faster until it had gone far away from the fox.
狐貍追著小鼓,但小鼓滾得越來越快,離狐貍越來越遠了。
The last thing the fox heard was, "Lost in the woods, And so are you. On, little Drumkin! Tumpa-tum-too!"
狐貍最后只聽到了,“他在森林里迷了路,你也迷了路。啊,小鼓要走了,咚隆隆,咚隆隆”!