Paddy Bear
帕迪熊
One morning Paddy Bear went with his mother to weed the garden.
一天清晨,帕迪熊和他媽媽一起去給菜園除草。
Paddy Bear did not want to work in the garden.
帕迪熊不想在菜園里干活。
He wanted to run and play all day in the woods.
他想一整天都在森林里奔跑和玩耍。
"Oh, dear!" said Paddy. "I am tired of work.
“哦,天那”!帕迪說。我討厭干活。
I don't want to weed the garden.
我不想給菜園除草。
I wish that I could do just what I want to do for one day."
我希望有一整天時間做我想做的事。
Mother Bear said, "Very well. Tomorrow you may do just what you want to all day long."
熊媽媽說,“好吧。那明天一整天你可以想做什么就做什么。
"Oh," said Paddy, " that will be fun.
“啊”,帕迪說,“那會很有趣的。
Now I must think about it. What shall I do tomorrow?
現在,我必須想一想。我明天要做啥呢?
What do I like to do best?"
我最喜歡做什么呢?
Paddy Bear thought and thought about the things he liked to do.
帕迪熊他想啊想,想著他喜歡做的事。
He liked to roll down hills, but that made him tired.
他喜歡從小山上滾下來,但是那樣做會很累。
He liked to splash in the water.
他喜歡在水中戲水。
But water made his coat wet, and sometimes it got up his nose.
但水會弄濕他的外套,而且有時候水還會濺到鼻子里。
He liked to climb trees for honey, but sometimes the bees stung him.
他喜歡爬樹找蜂蜜,但是有時候蜜蜂會蟄他。
Paddy Bear did not know just what he liked to do best.
帕迪熊不知道他最喜歡做什么。
"I think that I will do nothing tomorrow," said Paddy.
“我想我明天還是什么都不做好”,帕迪說。
"Maybe I will just be lazy."
“也許我就是很懶惰”。
"Do you think that you will like to be lazy?" asked Mother Bear.
“你覺得你自己喜歡懶惰嗎”?熊媽媽問道。
"I'll try it now and see," said Paddy.
“我現在就試試看”,帕迪說道。
So he sat down under a tree.
于是,他在一棵樹下坐了下來。
He sat there for a long, long time.
他在那兒坐了很長很長的時間。
But he did not like that.
但是他不喜歡那樣。
"Oh, my, oh, me!" thought Paddy.
“哦,天那,哦,天那”!帕迪想。
"I am tired of doing nothing. It is not fun to be lazy."
“我討厭無所事事。懶惰一點都不好玩。”
Just then Mother Bear called.
就在這時,熊媽媽在喊他。
"Come here, Paddy!" she said.
“帕迪,到這里來”!她說。
"Let us surprise Father Bear. Let us dig a new home for him."
“我們給熊爸爸一個驚喜吧。我們給他挖一個新家吧。”
"Oh, that will be fine," said Paddy.
“哦,那太好了”,帕迪說。
"Maybe we can make it before Father comes home this evening."
“或許我們能在爸爸今天晚上回家之前挖好”。
Paddy helped his mother all day.
帕迪一整天都在幫他媽媽。
That evening Mother Bear said, "We must stop. Father is coming. He must not see what we are doing."
那天晚上熊媽媽說,“我們必須要停下來。爸爸就要回來了。一定不能讓他看到我們在做什么”。
Paddy said, "I'll work tomorrow."
帕迪說,“那我明天再挖吧”。
Mother Bear shook her head.
熊媽媽搖了搖頭。
"Oh, no, no," she said. "Tomorrow you are going to do what you want to."
“哦,不、不”,她說。“明天你要做你自己想做的事情”。
"But I want to work," said Paddy.
“但是我想干活”,帕迪說。
"Well, well!" said his mother.
“好吧,好吧”!媽媽說。
"What a funny little bear you are!"
“你真是只有趣的小熊”!
The next day Paddy was busy and happy all day long.
第二天,帕迪一整天都很忙碌,但也很快樂。
Before evening a nice new home was ready. It had two big rooms.
天黑之前,一個漂亮的新家就建好了。它有兩間大房子。
When Father Bear came back, he said, "Paddy, did you help make this nice new home?"
當熊爸爸回來的時候,他說,“帕迪,這個漂亮的新家是你幫忙建造的嗎”?
"Yes," said Paddy. "It was fun."
“是的”,帕迪說。“這很有趣”。
Mother Bear laughed and said, "Paddy thinks it is more fun to work than to be lazy."
熊媽媽笑著說,“帕迪覺得干活比懶惰更有趣”。