What?
怎么了
Do I sound jaded, or...
是不是很負能量
Just know, I started out as idealistic as you
就是說 我當年也是個理想主義者
or any of your friends over there.
跟你和你的小伙伴一樣
And I'm not saying what, you know, what you do...
而且我也不是想 怎么說呢 讓你怎么樣...
I could tell I'd lost her.
我感覺我要失去她了
Lost her respect.
失去她的敬意
And I wanted it back.
我想努力奪回來
I thought if I could summarize the trajectory of my life,
我想著要是我總結一下我過往的歲月
she would understand me,
她就會理解我的
see me as someone who'd lost the good fight,
會覺得我是經歷過奮斗與掙扎
but had fought it nonetheless.
只不過無力再戰而已
I mean, when I was in journalism school, that's...
我當初在新聞學院的時候
that was the ideal, you know?
真的是充滿了理想
Everybody wanted to be Woodward and Bernstein.
人人都想當沃德伍德和伯恩斯坦
You know what I mean? You know... Mm. Mmhmm.
變得富有影響力 嗯
You know who they are, right? Yeah, yeah, of course.
你知道他們吧 知道
I told her about my career mistakes,
我和她說了我生涯里所犯的錯誤
my years in journalism just as the newspaper business was folding.
我搞新聞的日子就和報紙產業本身一樣日漸蕭條
My attempt to start a digital magazine in San Francisco,
然后我嘗試在舊金山做電子雜志
but how no one wanted to read longform pieces anymore.
但是人們已經不再適應長篇幅閱讀了
And how I'd won a few prestigious prizes, but my magazine had still gone bust.
盡管我拿了一些有分量的獎 雜志還是辦不下去
Yeah, we won a Peabody.
我得了皮博迪獎
I mean, you know, not that that matters, but...
沒有那么重要 不過多少還是...
I talked about my friends from college,
我又講了我的大學同學
and how they'd sold out and gotten rich,
是如何推銷自己 然后富甲一方
and didn't invite me to their milestone events,
最后辦喜事都不帶叫我的
even though I'd been the heart and soul of our group.
盡管我當年還是他們團隊的核心
I may have failed in their eyes,
他們可能覺得我挺失敗的
but at least I still had my integrity
但是我也守住了我的底線
and could sleep at night.
晚上也睡得安穩