"I can face blunt fact better than damnable incertitude.
“相信我 比起該死的謊言 我更能接受不太完美的事實”
"Give me the damn straight plain truth right now, damn you! "Tom."
“直接把該死的真相告訴我吧 別再逗我了! 湯姆”
"Talked of everywhere as a truly important book.
“人們到處在談論這本書 都說這是一本意義非凡的杰作”
"All comparisons with greatest writers.
“他們還把你和其他一些偉大的作家相提并論”
"Even James Joyce."
“甚至包括詹姆斯·喬伊斯”
"Hell, Joyce wishes he was so good."
“喬伊斯倒希望自己有這么優秀呢”
"Had to rush out five editions of the book.
“我們又加印了五版”
"Thirty thousand copies.
“整整三萬冊”
"Never seen a book so talked about.
“從沒見過一本書 能有如此高的關注度”
"They're calling you a genius again, God help you.
“人們又一次為你冠上天才的頭銜”
"Come home soon. Max."
“趕快回家 麥克斯”
Mrs. Bernstein.
伯恩斯坦夫人
Mr. Perkins.
柏金斯先生
What can I do for you?
有什么能幫你的嗎?
It's rather what can I do for you, Mr. Perkins.
這句話應該由我來問你 柏金斯先生
I couldn't help noticing Tom dedicated his new book to you.
我注意到 湯姆將他的新書獻給了你
He dedicated his first book to me, you will recall.
如果你還記得的話 他的上一本書是獻給我的
It was a lovely sentiment... but what he was actually saying was,"Thank you and goodbye."
也許你會說我多慮了 但他當時的原話其實是,“謝謝你 再見”
I had served my purpose.
我已經失去了用途
And now, you have served yours.
而現在 輪到你了
"Thank you and goodbye, Mr. Perkins."
“謝謝你 柏金斯先生 再見”
With respect, Mrs. Bernstein... you haven't the slightest notion of my relationship with Tom.
恕我直言 伯恩斯坦夫人 你對我和湯姆之間的關系 根本一點都不了解
And in view of that...He makes you do things... you never thought you'd do. He liberates you.
考慮到這一點... 他讓你幫他做很多事 在此之前 你根本不知道自己有這樣的能力 他釋放你的潛能