Apparently the mayor's gonna hinge his reelection campaign
顯然市長準備把競選連任的重點放在
on the renewed vigilance when it comes to quality of life crimes,
最近重新興起的對殺人犯特點的警惕上
so keep it in mind when you're out there doing real work.
你們在外面工作的時候要記住這一點
Captain?
警監
Guy walked in, said he needs to see the man in charge.
這家伙走進來,說要見負責人
Are you the Lord here?
你是這的大人嗎
He keeps saying "Lord."
他一直用"大人"這個詞
I took it to mean "captain"
我理解為他是指"警監"
Tom Gregson. Can I help you?
我是湯姆·格雷森,有什么能幫你的
I am the Knight.
我是騎士
I was dubbed.
我曾被授予頭銜
Now I am the Knight.
現在我是騎士
Okay.
好吧
That's why I had to kill the Queen.
所以我必須殺死王后
You killed the Queen?
你殺死了王后嗎
It was my duty.
這是我的使命
I had to kill her.
我必須殺死她
I had to.
必須這么做
Gun! It was my duty.
有槍,這是我的使命
Hey!
請注意
If you pick up that gun,
一旦你拿起那把槍
this is gonna end fast and ugly.
事態可就一發不可收拾了
I'm the Knight.
我是騎士
Holmes, stay back, stay back!
福爾摩斯,后退,快后退
I was dubbed. Sir, I'm gonna ask you
我曾被授予頭銜,先生
one more time-- step away from that weapon.
我再提醒你一遍,遠離武器
Can I try something?
能讓我試試嗎
Try it fast.
速度要快
The, uh, scarf on your wrist?
你手腕上的絲巾
On your wrist. It...
系在你手腕上的,它...
It...
它...
As I was saying, I noticed the scarf straightaway.
如我所說,我第一眼就注意到了那條絲巾
This is an extremely compelling story, Mr. Holmes,
你的故事非常引人入勝,福爾摩斯先生
but I asked about the James Dylan case.
但我詢問的是詹姆斯·迪蘭的案子
The incident you're describing
但你所陳述的事件
is connected to the murder of Rada Hollingsworth.
卻和蕾達·霍林沃斯的謀殺案有關
Which is, in turn, inextricably linked
而此案恰恰與詹姆斯·迪蘭的案子
to the tale of James Dylan.
有著密不可分的關系
If you would just answer the question I asked you.
請直接回答我的問題
I am answering the question,
我正在回答你的問題
just more precisely than you intended me to.
只是比你要求的更精確而已
You cannot understand one incident
如果你不先了解另外一件事
without first understanding the other.
就無法弄清眼前的這件事
As I was saying...
正如我所說
The scarf on your wrist--
你手腕上的絲巾
was it a favor from your lady?
是你家小姐的賞賜嗎
Yes. Belonged to my Queen.
是的,這是王后的
Then it must be returned to her.
那你必須還給她
Knight's Code commands it, yeah?
騎士守則是這么要求的,對吧
You give it to me, I'll have a squire bring it to her.
你把它給我,我會請侍從送還給她
Here.
過來
Allow me, sir.
讓我來吧,先生
Go down.
趴下
Down! No!
趴下,不
Knight's Code? What is that?
騎士守則,那是什么
Uh, it's oral tradition.
這是個口口相傳的傳統
The man's clearly schizophrenic, but...
這人顯然患有精神分裂
his delusions are based on, uh... on actual history.
但他的幻想錯覺,是基于一定史實的
In the Middle Ages,
在中世紀時期
a knight would often wear a token from their beloved.
騎士往往會佩戴一件心愛之人的物品
Usually an article of clothing, a scarf.
一般會是布制品,比如說絲巾
Any thoughts where the Queen who gave it to him might be?
能想到給他絲巾的王后在哪嗎
No, not just yet.
不,還沒想到
Give the man a minute, will you?
讓他休息一會,行嗎
He's a brave and brilliant instrument of justice.
他是機智勇敢的執法利器
All we got to do is stay out of his way,
我們所要做的,就是別打擾他
and he'll lead us right to the truth.
他一定會帶我們找到真相的
I got to throw a flag on the play.
容許我提出異議
Now, I've known Tommy Gregson a long time.
我和湯米·格雷森是老相識了
I'm guessing he didn't actually say that.
我覺得他不會說這種話
He may have used different words to make the same point.
也許措辭不同,但表達的是同一個意思
Mr. Holmes,
福爾摩斯先生
do me a favor?
就算幫我個忙
Spare us the flourishes.
別再夸夸其談了
You're under oath, and that oath counts.
你宣過誓了,并且誓言有效
This is a real hearing presided over by a real judge.
這是一場由正牌法官主持的正式聽證會
Of course, Your Honor.
您說的是,法官大人
It is an administrative hearing.
這是一場行政聽證會
This court represents neither state nor federal law,
開庭的依據既不是州也不是聯邦政府法律
but rather the dictates of the police department of New York.
而是紐約警局的要求
So, "real judge," while not technically inaccurate,
所以"正牌法官"這個說法,與其說不準確
seems like an overstatement.
不如說是言過其實
By all means,
既然如此
let's be 100% accurate.
那我們就說得準確一點
I do only represent the police department of New York.
我確實只代表了紐約警局
We're here today because you screwed up.
今天我們在這是因為你犯了錯
And the NYPD has empowered me,
而紐約警局授權我
as a technically real judge,
作為嚴格意義上的正牌法官
to determine the magnitude of said screw-up,
來判斷所謂錯誤的嚴重程度
and to make a recommendation
并對你和你的搭檔
as to whether or not you and your partner
能否繼續待在這座城市
can continue your relationship with the city.
與警方合作作出評估
Now, is that accurate enough for you?
這個說法對你來說夠準確了嗎
We're here today because of one particular breach of protocol.
我們今天要審理的是一起特定的違法案件
Alleged breach of protocol.
涉嫌違法案件
Alleged breach of protocol.
好吧,涉嫌違法案件
I'm curious, though.
不過我很好奇
Would you say the incident is part of a larger pattern?
你同意這起事件代表了某種行為模式嗎
Tommy. Commissioner.
湯米,局長
So how about it, Mr. Holmes?
你怎么說,福爾摩斯先生
Is this all part of a larger pattern?
這起事件代表了某種行為模式嗎
I'm sorry. I don't follow you.
不好意思,我不明白你的意思
Do you routinely break the law
你是否一直在調查過程中
during the course of your investigations?
違反法律
Ah, not that I recall, no.
在我的印象中,沒有
So you've never broken the law?
所以你從未犯過法嗎
Everyone breaks the law, Ms. Walker.
每個人都犯過法,沃克女士
Case in point.
舉個例子
You have been precisely seven minutes early
我們每次會面
for every meeting we've ever had.
你都會正好早到七分鐘
You arrange your notebooks
每天你排列筆記本的
exactly the same way each day.
方式都完全一致
You position a small photograph of an eleventh-century bust
你會放一張十一世紀的半身雕像照片
so that you can look at it before you begin your work.
每次開庭前都會看上一眼
Are you suggesting that someone as bound by routine
你是說如你這般嚴格遵守日程安排的人
such as yourself has never crossed
從沒因為趕時間
against the traffic lights in order to keep to a schedule?
而闖紅燈過馬路嗎
I'm not talking about that kind of law-breaking.
我不是指那方面的犯法
So, some degree of criminality is acceptable,
所以某種程度的犯法可以接受
the rest is just negotiating boundaries?
而其他的就有待商榷嗎
Answer the questions directly, Mr. Holmes.
請直接回答問題,福爾摩斯先生
If you won't do it out of respect for this institution,
就算你不是出于對法庭的尊重
do it for the officer who's in the hospital
起碼請你為了因此住院的警官
'cause of what happened here.
而配合我們的詢問
I have never broken the law in a manner Ms. Walker suggests.
我從未以沃克女士所指的形式觸犯過法律
We have statements from several officers saying
我們手里有好幾位警官的證詞
they have no idea how you and your partner
表示他們不知道你和你的搭檔
get inside of so many private homes
以何種方式進入眾多
and businesses when nobody's there.
空無一人的私宅或機構
They all think you break in.
他們都認為你們是非法入侵
So, you didn't pick the lock on Victor Nardin's apartment?
難道你沒撬開維克多·納丁公寓的門鎖
You didn't break into the McTierney Brothers Mortuary?
也沒闖進過麥迪尼兄弟停尸間嗎
A couple of our officers even think
有幾位警官甚至認為
you've taught your partner how to do it.
你還把這項技能傳授給了搭檔
The officers who told you those things are confused.
這么說的警官一定是弄錯了
You're saying you didn't enter those dwellings?
你是說你沒到過上述場所嗎
Because you used evidence from inside those places.
因為你使用了原本放在那些地方的證據
No. Ms. Watson and I entered those locations,
不,華生小姐和我進入過那些場所
just not illegally.
但不是以非法的方式
I'm not sure I understand.
我不明白你的意思
It was quite some time ago, but if I remember correctly,
事情過去挺久了,但如果我沒記錯的話
on most of those occasions, the doors were open.
大多數情況下,門都是開著的
In New York City?
在紐約市里
The front doors were open?
會有地方門戶大開嗎
Not just unlocked, but actually open?
不只是沒有鎖,而確實是開著的嗎
I was surprised, as well.
對此我也很驚訝
In several other instances,
還有幾次
we thought we heard cries for help.
我們認為聽到了呼救的聲音
They turned out to be televisions
結果是聲音被調大的電視機
with the volume turned up.
發出的聲音
So there's an epidemic of people
所以現在人們流行
leaving their TVs on?
不在家的時候開著電視嗎
Once we mistook the cries
有一次,我們誤以為
of a small puppy for a baby in distress.
小狗的叫聲是遇險嬰兒的哭聲
Your Honor, allow me to register my skepticism.
法官大人,請將我的懷疑記錄在案
Registered, but unless you've got a witness
已記錄,但除非你能找到證人
who can contradict Mr. Holmes' testimony...
可以反駁福爾摩斯先生的證詞
How could she? Miss Watson and I were the only ones present.
怎么可能,只有華生小姐和我在場
Oh, I'll be asking Miss Watson what happened.
我會詢問華生小姐的
Excellent. That should clear things up.
很好,那就都清楚了
So, someone walked into the eleventh precinct with a shotgun.
所以,有人帶著一把獵槍走進第十一分局
This has something to do with the James Dylan incident...
這跟詹姆斯·迪蘭案有一些關系
No, it has everything to do with it.
不,是有千絲萬縷的關系
Having disarmed the Knight,
解除騎士的武裝之后
we turned our attention to establishing his identity
我們將注意力轉向確定
and that of the Queen.
他和王后的身份
Does anyone ever call you anything besides "The Knight"?
除了"騎士" 你還有別的名字嗎
It was my duty to kill the Queen.
殺死王后是我的使命
I-I was summoned to her lair
我被召喚到她的巢穴
and told that only in death
并被告知只有死亡
would her soul be saved from the demons.
才能將她的靈魂從魔鬼手中解救出來
Th-This lair--
這個巢穴
do you have any idea where it is?
你知道它在哪里嗎
It was my sworn duty.
那是我宣過誓的使命
This is going nowhere.
這么問不會有結果的
He's schizophrenic, in the middle of a psychotic episode.
他有精神分裂癥,正在發病期
It's going to be days
要長期治療并服用
and a lot of risperidone before he starts making sense.
利培酮(精神分裂藥物)才能讓他恢復正常
Not a time frame that bodes well for the Queen,
那么長時間對王后來說可不是好兆頭
on the off chance she is still alive.
時間越長,她還活著的幾率越小
Well, there's blood in the treads of his boots.
他的靴子底上有血跡
Probably hers.
可能是她的
Two receipts, both for early-morning coffee runs.
兩張收據,買的都是大清早的咖啡
One at 6:27 A.M., one at 6:36,
一張是早上6:27 一張是6:36
both from the same bodega on West 20th and Fifth Avenue.
都是來自西二十街第五大道路口的酒館
Well, maybe he lives in the Flatiron District.
可能他住在熨斗區
Along with hundreds of thousands of other people.
那地方有幾十萬人居民
Only one of them is named Silas Cole.
他們中只有一個叫塞拉斯·科爾
I texted his picture to a friend of mine
我把他的照片發給了一個
who works the psych E.R. at Sanbridge.
圣橋醫院精神科急診室的朋友
She recognized him.
她認出了他
I set her free.
我給了她自由
Captain, the man's name is Silas Cole.
警監,那個人名叫塞拉斯·科爾
He lives in the Flatiron District.
他住在熨斗區
We'll have an address for you momentarily.
我們會馬上給你個地址
All right.
好吧
I'll get a warrant for his place.
我去為他家申請一個搜查令
This does not fill me with optimism for the Queen.
這讓我對王后的處境很不樂觀
Well, the figure on the right is obviously Silas,
右邊的人顯然是塞拉斯
which would suggest
也就是說
the Queen is a real person, as well.
王后也是個真實的人物
Yeah, but how do we know for sure that's the Queen?
對,但我們怎么確定那就是王后呢
I mean, I don't see any crown.
我沒有看到王冠
In the Middle Ages, only royalty were allowed
在中世紀,只有皇室成員才能
to wear purple and ermine.
穿紫色衣服和貂皮
That is most certainly Silas's Queen.
那應該就是塞拉斯的王后
And he did rather a good job with the likeness.
而且他畫得很像
Oh. So she was his girlfriend.
所以她是他的女朋友
Seriously? That guy's in no shape to be dating anyone.
真的嗎,他看起來不像是會有約會的人
Well, you don't know what he was like on his meds.
你不知道他吃完藥是什么樣
Silas and his queen were together
塞拉斯和他的王后
till about six months ago, I would venture.
半年前分手了,我大膽猜測一下
These photographs-- all taken over the last three years.
這些照片,都是過去三年里拍的
There are none from last summer.
卻從去年夏天開始中斷了
Maybe she's the one who broke up with him.
也許是她把他甩了
Okay, look at this necklace.
看這條項鏈
Maybe he gave it to her as a gift.
也許是他給她的禮物
She gave it back to him when they broke up.
他們分手時她還給他了
Her name starts with an "R""
她的名字以R開頭
There's a whole stack of fashion magazines here.
這里有一大堆時尚雜志
Last year's issue...
去年發行的...
Subscription mailing label's addressed to Rada Hollingsworth.
訂閱標簽上寫著蕾達·霍林沃斯
She lives on 23rd.
她住在第二十三大街
So, Detective Bell was actually the one
所以貝爾警探才是查明
who identified Ms. Hollingsworth as "The Queen."
霍林沃斯小姐就是 "王后"的人
A substantial contribution to the case, wouldn't you say?
對案情有重大貢獻,不是嗎
Yes. One of many he's made during our work together.
對,是我們共事過程中他的諸多貢獻之一
Sounds like you regard him as a real asset to the department.
聽起來你覺得他是警局的重要人才
Detective Bell is several standard deviations above the norm.
貝爾警探比普通水平要高出幾個檔次
I've always regarded him as such.
我一直很欣賞他
Your affection for the man really shines through.
你對他的欣賞表現得非常明顯
According to your deposition,
根據你的證詞
when you got to Rada Hollingsworth's apartment,
當你們到達蕾達·霍林沃斯的公寓時
the door was wide open.
門是大開著的
That's correct.
沒錯
It was.
確實如此
Ms. Hollingsworth?
霍林沃斯小姐
Ms. Hollingsworth?
霍林沃斯小姐
In here!
在這里
Looks like she's been dead for a couple hours.
看來她已經死了幾個小時了
These must be Silas's boot prints.
這些一定是塞拉斯的靴印
All right, I'm gonna call the station.
好吧,我給局里打電話
Tell 'em to book Cole.
讓他們拘捕科爾
Don't.
慢著
You know, I'm not convinced that Silas Cole killed this woman.
我不認為是塞拉斯·科爾殺了她
Sorry.
抱歉
Silas Cole walked into the station
塞拉斯·科爾拿著散彈槍
holding a shotgun and confessed.
走進警局自首
You were standing there looking at his footprints,
你站在那里看著他的腳印
and your first thought was he didn't kill Rada Hollingsworth?
而你的第一想法卻是他沒有殺人
Not my first thought.
不是我的第一想法
I tend to have thoughts in rapid succession.
我的思考過程很快
She'd been shot in the chest, rib cage. Her heart...
她胸部中彈,肋骨處,她的心臟
had essentially been obliterated.
基本被打碎了
The Knight wouldn't do that.
騎士不會那么做的
Silas Cole said he killed her
塞拉斯·科爾說他殺她
in order to save her soul.
是為了拯救她的靈魂
In the Middle Ages, the heart was not just a symbol
在中世紀,心臟不光是
of romantic love. It was the vessel for the soul.
浪漫愛情的象征,也是靈魂的容器
So for him to shoot her in her heart--
所以對他來說,朝她的心臟開槍
in the universe of his delusions--
在他的幻想世界中
he would be sentencing her to eternal damnation.
會讓她遭受永恒的詛咒
He wouldn't do that. He loved her.
他不會那么做,他愛她
And the confession? The...footprints?
那他的招供呢,腳印呢
Silas Cole was acting in diminished capacity.
塞拉斯·科爾行動能力很弱
He may well have believed he was responsible, even if he wasn't.
他也許相信是他干的,即使實際并非如此
As to the footprints, there's no question
關于那些腳印,毫無疑問
that he was in the apartment.
他曾經在那間公寓里
I just don't believe he pulled the trigger.
我只是不相信他扣了扳機
Which means, of course, someone else did.
也就是說,當然是別人干的
Your Honor, Ms. Watson is scheduled
法官大人,華生小姐計劃
to testify at this hearing.
在這次聽證會上作證
She can't be here. Excuse me, Your Honor,
她現在不能在場,對不起,法官大人
I have an important message for Captain Gregson.
我有重要的消息要告訴格雷森警監
His phone is off.
他的手機關機了
I would not interrupt otherwise.
否則我不會來打擾的
What's going on?
怎么了
Mr. Holmes, while you're on the stand in my courtroom,
福爾摩斯先生,當你上庭時
you will limit yourself to testimony relevant to this case.
你只能陳述與本案相關的證詞
Do you understand?
你明白嗎
Yep.
明白
Thanks for texting, Gretchen. What happened?
多謝你發短信來,格萊琛,怎么了
While I was repairing the abdominal wall,
在我修補腹壁時
a blood clot formed in the left ventricle.
左心室形成了一個血栓
I thought this was supposed to be routine surgery.
我以為這只是個常規手術
We thought he was out of the woods a few days ago, too.
我們也以為他幾天前就脫離險境了
There's no such thing as "routine"
不過當你從腹部中槍恢復時
when you're recovering from a gunshot to the abdomen.
就沒有什么事是"常規"的了
What happened with the clot?
血栓怎么樣了
It got wedged in his right subclavian artery.
它塞住了他的右鎖骨下動脈
Obstructed the blood flow to his arm for about 30 minutes.
阻礙血液流入他的胳膊長達半小時
So what's the prognosis?
預測結果如何
He might be fine.
他也許會沒事
Or...?
或者
Or he may never regain full use of the limb.
或者他可能再也無法擁有健全的手臂了
He's in recovery.
他正在恢復
Tell me again...
再跟我說一遍
why they wait until five days
為什么他們在他中槍之后
after he got shot to perform the operation.
等了五天才給他動手術
They leave abdominal wounds open for a while.
他們讓腹部的傷口開放一段時間
It helps reduce infection.
可以幫助減少感染
It's absolutely standard procedure.
這是絕對標準的程序
The timeline has nothing to do with the clot.
手術時間和血栓沒有關系
He was still unconscious when I left.
我離開時他依然是不省人事的
They'll know more once he wakes up.
當他醒來后他們就會知道更多了
I'm gonna go back to the hospital.
我要回醫院了
You should come when this is over.
當這事結束的時候你也應該來
You haven't visited Bell once since he was shot.
自從貝爾中槍后你還沒有探望過他
You asked me to grab you when we're headed back in.
你讓我在重新開庭的時候告訴你
Thank you for the news. Hey.
謝謝,聽著
Wide open doors? Puppies?
打開的門,小狗
I'm just saying what I need to say to get us back to work.
我說這些是為了讓我們能繼續回去工作
Well, it's not just what you say. It's how you say it.
不僅是你說了什么,還有你怎樣去說
You can hate what's going on in there.
你可以厭惡那里發生的事
You can think it's beneath you.
你可以覺得不屑一顧
But if the judge knows that you think that,
但如果法官知道你那么想的話
how is that good for you?
對你有什么好處呢
Be nice.
友善點
It's the smart play.
你需要智取以及什么不是我們能改變的事
Did you put this on my desk?
是你把這個放在我桌子上的嗎
"At the head of all understanding is realizing
"理解的前提是意識到
what is and what cannot be
什么是以及什么不是
and the consoling of what is not in our power to change"
我們能改變的事"
It's a lovely sentiment.
很可愛的觀點
First expressed by the 11th century poet Solomon Ben Judah.
出自十一世紀詩人所羅門·本·猶大
But you know that 'cause you've got a photograph
不過你也知道因為在你的日程表上
of Ben Judah's bust on your day planner.
有本·猶大半身雕像的照片
So?
那又怎樣
The saying is thought to be an early derivation
這段話被認為是靜思禱告的
of the Serenity Prayer,
早期起源
which is commonly recited by...
被治療期中的酗酒者和癮君子
recovering alcoholics and drug addicts.
廣泛背誦
Is that why you keep the photograph?
你是因為這個原因留著那張照片嗎
As a gentle reminder of the prayer?
作為做禱告的提醒
Is this some kind of threat?
你這是在威脅我嗎
No.
不
No, there's nothing on earth that would make me reveal
不是,這世界上沒有什么會讓我
a secret of that nature.
泄漏那種秘密
It's... it's just a-a... tip of the cap,
這只是... 一種致意
you know?
明白嗎
From one obsessive to another.
同道中人之間的致意
Just an acknowledgment that the world we live in
只是對我們所居住的世界
is so often too complicated for the rules we make
經常因為各種制度和限制
to keep it orderly.
而變得復雜的一種認同
Ms. Walker, ready when you are.
沃克女士,你準備好就可以開始了
You heard about Marcus Bell's complications, I take it.
我猜你聽說了馬庫斯·貝爾的并發癥
Yes, of course.
是的
I'm told they may have long-term implications for his career.
據說這會對他的職業生涯有長期影響
In that light, I was wondering if you feel any regret
從這個角度看的話,我想知道你
about your methods in this case.
有沒有后悔你在此案中用的方法
This is a courtroom, Ms. Walker, not a confessional.
這是法庭,沃克女士,不是懺悔室
Fair enough.
好吧
Let's turn back to the Rada Hollingsworth investigation.
讓我們回到蕾達·霍林沃斯的調查
Yes, well, Captain Gregson did not agree with my assessment
好,格雷森警監當時沒有同意我關于
that Silas Cole was innocent of her murder,
她的被殺和塞拉斯·科爾無關的觀點
so Ms. Watson and I explored other avenues on our own.
所以華生女士和我就另辟蹊徑了
Ex-lovers, colleagues, a...
以前的情人們,同事們
neighbor with designs on Rada's apartment.
設計過蕾達住所的一個鄰居
All of those, dead ends.
所有這些,一無所獲
But in the course of exploring Rada's life,
但在調查蕾達生活的過程中
we learned that she was seeing an oncologist
我們發現她在看一位叫菲尼斯·霍布斯的
named Dr. Phineas Hobbs.
腫瘤學家
When had Ms. Hollingsworth been diagnosed with cancer?
霍林沃斯女士是何時被診斷出癌癥的
Seven months prior to her murder.
在她被謀殺前七個月
Dr. Hobbs was administering a stage one drug trial
霍布斯醫生當時管理著蕾達的
which Rada was enrolled in. I'm sorry. Rada didn't
第一階段藥物試驗,抱歉
say anything to me about where she planned to go
蕾達離開我辦公室時
when she left my office.
沒說過她的去向
We tended to talk mostly about her diagnosis.
我們主要都是在談論她的治療
I'm sure you understand.
我相信你可以理解
She was really responding to the medication.
她對藥物的反應很好
It was beautiful to watch.
很開心看到這些
I thought she might even go into remission.
我覺得她甚至進入了緩解期
But, uh, I guess her ex-boyfriend had other ideas.
但我猜她的前男友有不同的觀點
Rada told you about her relationship with Silas?
蕾達告訴過你她和塞拉斯的關系
Yes, she mentioned that her
是的,她提過她前男友
former boyfriend was schizophrenic.
是精神分裂癥患者
She'd, uh, ask me for advice about it sometimes.
她有時會尋求我的建議
I really had no idea
我一直不知道
how sick the man was until he showed up here about...
那人病得有多嚴重直到他在
about a week and a half before she died.
她死前一周半出現在這里
He was ranting.
他在大吵大嚷
I thought about pursuing a committal.
我考慮過通知醫院來收監
I should have. Obviously.
顯然我應該這么做
Drug trials like yours are expensive, are they not?
你的這種藥物實驗很昂貴,對吧
They're rarely covered by insurance.
保險只會付很小一部分
Rada Hollingsworth was a teacher.
蕾達·霍林沃斯是名教師
Have you any sense as to how she paid for the study?
你知道她是怎么支付這項研究的嗎
I know exactly how she paid for it.
我當然知道她是如何支付的
She cashed in her life insurance for a viatical settlement.
她通過她人壽保險的離世前結算來付現
A viatical settlement is a repugnant, predatory arrangement
離世前結算是指患不治之癥者
whereby a terminally ill patient
向第三方以低于到期收益價出售
signs away their future life insurance payment
人壽保險單以便
in exchange for a monthly cash advance.
活著時享用的安排
The company or individual making
支付那些費用的公司或個人
those payments is essentially betting that their client
本質上是打賭他們的客戶
will die before the payments surpass the value of the policy.
會在支付的數額超過保險價值之前就死去
In Ms. Hollingsworth's case, the vulture circling overhead
在霍林沃斯女士的案子里,守株待兔的
was an employee of a company called Helping Hands Viaticals.
是一家叫離世幫手公司的雇員
That man's name was James Dylan.
那人的名字是詹姆斯·迪蘭
The equation seems simple enough.
方程看起來很簡單
The longer she lived, the less profit for you.
她活得越久,你得到的利益越少
In fact, according to the terms of employment of this place,
事實上,按照這地方的雇傭條例
if she outlives the value of her life insurance policy,
如果她活得比人壽保險規定的久
the money comes out of your pocket. So it seems like...
你就要自己掏腰包了,所以看起來
you would have incentive to want her gone.
你有讓她去世的動機
Yeah, well, that doesn't mean I killed her.
是的,但不意味著我殺了她
So where were you the night she died? Look,
她死的那晚上你在哪,聽著
if you want to talk about this, we can go somewhere else.
如果你們想聊這事的話,我們可以到別處
And if you're gonna grill me, I want a lawyer there.
而且你們要盤問我的話,我需要律師在場
Right now, we got new leads in from a nursing home,
現在,我們有療養院的新單子
and I got to hit the phones.
我要電話跟進
This place is a miserable warren of cynicism and despair.
這地方是憤世嫉俗和絕望的悲慘場所
You'd think they'd have a hard time
你會覺得他們的雇員
holding on to their employees.
過得很慘
And yet the cubicles are full.
但辦公室卻都是滿的
Some of your colleagues even have diplomas on display.
你的一些同事甚至掛著文憑
So it seems in this economy, your employers have no trouble
所以看起來在如今的經濟形式下
in attracting the overqualified.
你的雇主不難吸引高學歷的員工
Yeah. So? So...
所以呢,所以
I was wondering if they know that you're a convicted felon
我在想他們是否知道你曾因重罪
who's spent time in prison.
蹲過監獄
Who told you that? Seems like
誰告訴你的,看起來
a fair question.
是個合理的問題
How did you learn about Mr. Dylan's criminal record?
你是如何知道迪蘭先生的犯罪記錄的
When I learned that James Dylan had sold Rada Hollingsworth
當我得知詹姆斯·迪蘭賣給蕾達·霍林沃斯
her viatical, I did some cursory research into his background,
離世保險時,我做了一些粗略的背景調查
research his employers had apparently neglected to do.
他的雇主們顯然忽略了這一步
That's the beauty of the Internet.
這就是網絡的妙處
24/7 access to everything from twerking kittens
二十四小時不間斷地接觸到
to criminal records.
從跳電臀舞的小貓到犯罪記錄的內容
Mr. Dylan stated in a deposition given from his hospital bed
迪蘭先生在醫院的病床上宣誓作證時
that you discovered that information from his phone.
指出你是從他手機上發現這些信息的
Which you accessed without a warrant.
是在未經許可的前提下
Would it surprise you to learn that James Dylan is lying?
當你知道詹姆斯·迪蘭是在撒謊會吃驚嗎
Not necessarily.
那倒不一定
But you do tend to attract people who lie about
但你確實喜歡引誘他人
your illegal behavior.
為你的不法行為撒謊
Who told you that?
誰告訴你的
Why, you did. That's my phone!
你說的,那是我的電話
According to your outgoing calls, you regularly contact
你的撥出號碼歷史顯示,你經常
the same local number several times a week.
一周幾次地聯系一個本地號碼
It has a 477 prefix.
前綴是477
That's the same as our precinct.
和我們分局的一樣
It's a municipal number.
是政府部門的號碼
You stole this. Your calendar says you have
你偷了我的手機,你的日歷顯示
a recurring commitment every Tuesday.
你每周二都有一個反復出現的會面
Now, there's no heading on that appointment,
這些預約都沒有標題
so my first thought was weekly Brazilian, but then I noticed
所以我首先想到的是巴西人每周的聚會
the address of the Tuesday rendezvous. It's 202 Broadway,
但后來我注意到約會的地址是百老匯202號
which, as it turns out, is the office
結果,那是紐約州
of the New York State Division of Parole. Okay.
假釋辦公室的地址,夠了
Let's take this outside.
讓我們到外面去說
On the night that Rada Hollingsworth was murdered,
在蕾達·霍林沃斯被謀殺的那個晚上
I was having a drink
我正在甘斯沃爾特街的
at Sharkey's on Gansevoort Street.
沙基酒吧喝東西
And your presence in a bar is a violation of your parole.
你在假釋期里不能去酒吧
Yeah, I got sent upstate after a bar fight.
是,在酒吧發生了點爭執
I got out of control and I broke this guy's legs.
我失控了,打傷了那家伙的腿
So on the particular night that you're asking about, okay...
所以,你想知道那晚怎么了
I had had a lousy day at work. I mean, whatever,
那天我工作很不順利
they're all lousy, actually, but on this particular day,
事實上每天都是
I just felt like having a couple of drinks with a friend.
但在那天,我想去和朋友們喝酒
Okay, there's at least a dozen people who can vouch.
在場的那些人都可以作證
I was nowhere near Rada Hollingsworth.
我根本沒和蕾達·霍林沃斯一起
We're gonna need names and numbers. Okay, fine.
我們需要你提供姓名和電話,沒問題
But please, don't tell my parole officer.
但是請別讓我的假釋官知道
James Dylan's associates confirmed
詹姆斯·迪蘭的同事證實了
that he had indeed been drinking
蕾達·霍林沃斯被害當晚
at the time Rada Hollingsworth was killed,
他的確是在喝酒
so he was no longer a suspect.
所以他被排除嫌疑
You are aware, of course,
你很清楚
that it's a crime to steal private property?
這是一起盜竊私人財產的案件
I stole no property.
我沒偷東西
Nor did I call James Dylan's parole officer.
我也沒給詹姆斯·迪蘭的假釋官打電話
So,
那么
our investigation was back to square one.
我們的調查回到原點
Usually, this means a distraction
通常情況下這意味著
of some sort is called for.
需要些東西分散注意力
Interesting.
有意思
Hey, you never came down to eat.
你沒有下樓吃東西
I had extra.
還剩了些
What gives?
怎么了
Science-- the most potent distraction of all.
科學,是轉移精力的最有效方法
Hey, I've been looking for that.
我一直在找這個
Um, and what are you trying to distract yourself from?
什么事讓你想分散注意力呢
Silas Cole said he was summoned
詹姆斯·迪蘭說他被召喚去
to Rada Hollingsworth's apartment,
蕾達·霍林沃斯的公寓
which makes me think that the actual killer did the summoning.
我覺得是真正的兇手叫他去的
Indeed, Silas received a phone call
事實是,詹姆斯·迪蘭
from a disposable cell phone
晚上八點四十接到了一通電話
8:40 P.M.
來自一次性電話
8:40. That's not track.
八點四十,不足為奇
Rada's neighbor thought
蕾達的鄰居在七點三十五
she heard a truck backfiring at 7:35.
以為她聽到了車爆胎的聲音
That had to be the shotgun blast
那肯定是兇手殺她時
that killed her, so, why would you
開槍的聲音,為什么
kill Rada at 7:35, then wait over an hour
他會在七點三十五殺死蕾達
before calling Silas to the scene?
又等了一個小時才叫塞拉斯去現場呢
Why, indeed.
確實
I've been considering Rada's autopsy.
我一直在看蕾達的尸檢
Her blood potassium levels were 22.4.
她血液中鉀含量22.4
That's quite high, isn't it?
相當高,對吧
Not for a body a few hours postmortem.
對于死后幾小時來說不是
After you die, your cells start leaking potassium
人死后細胞開始向血液
into the bloodstream.
釋放鉀
So, the longer you've been dead,
所以你死得越久
the higher your potassium level.
鉀含量越高
Of course, if you killed Rada,
當然,如果你殺了蕾達
then waited an hour before calling Silas,
還等一個小時后才打電話
it could be because you wanted the potassium
除非是你想讓她血液里的鉀含量
in her blood to build up.
越來越高
Mm. And what would be the purpose of that?
但這樣做是為什么
I don't know.
我不知道
To conceal an already elevated potassium level?
為了隱藏已經增加的鉀含量嗎
Potassium chloride is an extremely effective way
氯化鉀是一種很高效的
of killing someone.
殺人手段
It does the heavy lifting at most of your state-sanctioned
它是所有致命注射劑中
lethal injections.
見效最快的
It sounds crazy, but it would explain the time gap.
聽起來很瘋狂,卻能解釋一小時的時間差
And it would be easy enough for us to figure out
而且很容易檢驗我們是否正確
if we're right. We just test the vitreous fluid in her eyes.
我們剛剛檢查了她眼內的玻璃體液
It's not subject to the postmortem
那不受她死后鉀含量
potassium build-up.
升高的影響
Of course, it wasn't crazy at all.
這一點都不瘋狂
The tests confirmed what Watson and I had suspected.
這個檢驗證實了我和華生的猜想
Rada Hollingsworth was killed
過量的氯化鉀
with an overdose of potassium chloride.
導致了蕾達·霍林沃斯的死亡
This discovery exonerated Silas Cole,
這個發現
who we had confirmed
證實之前合法逮捕的
was legitimately
塞勒斯·科爾
delusional.
是無罪的
The murder was clearly the result of careful planning,
兇手有一套精密的計劃
and he was in no fit state to carry out such methodical work.
但他卻沒能實施這套有序的計劃
You're smiling.
你笑了
That is the first time
這是我們開庭以來
you have been anything but irritated since we started.
你第一次表現不耐煩以外的情緒
Well, an innocent man was freed.
無辜者得到釋放
And what, in your opinion, does this have to do
在你看來,這件事
with what happened to Detective Bell?
和貝爾警監的事有關嗎
Whether one believes
不論是否有人相信
that I have occasionally broken the rules or not,
我偶爾違反規定
you cannot evaluate the work that Watson and I do
請你不要忽視,正是因為我違反規定
without considering the good that so often comes of it.
我和華生的工作才能有進展
Whatever happened later, it matters
不管最后發生了什么
that a mentally ill citizen is not unjustly imprisoned
重要的是現在一位有精神疾病的公民
at the moment.
沒有含冤入獄
It has to matter... to all of us.
這對我們所有人都重要
Or we might as well just
要么我們直接解散機構
dissolve this institution and start again.
重新組員
This is just one instance.
這只是一個例子
There are many, many others.
還有許多許多個
All of which, by the way,
所有這些
my partner and I donate free of charge
我的搭檔和我都無償
to the city of New York, so...
為紐約市工作
I hardly think this proceeding is
我不認為這場訴訟
the appropriate response to our work.
是對我們工作成果的回報
And what is the appropriate response?
那你覺得什么才是
"Thank you" would be nice.
說句謝謝挺好的
I'll make sure Marcus Bell gets that message.
我會轉告馬庫斯·貝爾這句話的
Well, Bell's stable.
貝爾的情況穩定了
They've decided to keep him sedated overnight.
他們覺得晚上給他用鎮靜劑
Less stress on his system.
讓他的身體系統輕松一些
And you're making Yorkshire pudding.
而你在做約克郡布丁
Well spotted, Watson.
觀察力不錯,華生
Most Americans mistake them for muffins.
大部分美國人都分不清它和松餅
When I was younger, our governess would enlist my help
我小的時候,我們的女家教會讓我
in making Yorkshire pudding for Sunday lunch,
幫忙做周日午餐的約克郡布丁
and ever since then, I've found making them
從那時起,我就發現做布丁
to have a calming effect.
有一種鎮靜的作用
Yeah, Gregson told me about the hearing. What...?
格雷森跟我說了聽證會的事,怎么...
I enjoy making Yorkshire Pudding, Watson.
我喜歡做約克郡布丁,華生
Not eating it. It is absolutely revolting.
不吃它們,實在是太難吃了
I could dig you one out if you'd like to try it.
你要是想嘗嘗我可以給你拿出來一個
I'm good, thanks for asking...
我不要,謝謝你能問我...
after you threw them away.
在你把它們扔掉之后
Oh, you're upset with me.
你對我很生氣
You know, for a genius, you can be a real Nimrod.
對一個天才來說,你太不會撒謊了
You know that I have to testify tomorrow, right?
你知道我明天要去作證,對吧
Which means I get to lie under oath
也就是說我得在宣誓后
about puppies and-and wide open doors and...
撒關于小狗和開著的大門之類的謊
Shouldn't be a problem. If we stick to our story,
應該不成問題,如果我們堅持我們的說法
there's nothing they can do.
他們就無計可施
Well, if you bothered to come up with a better story,
如果你能想出一個更好的故事
it wouldn't be so obvious that we were lying.
我們就不用撒這么明顯的謊了
You're practically daring them to fire us.
你就是在挑釁,讓他們解雇我們
You think I'm letting my ego pay too big a role in this affair?
你覺得在這件事中我太自負了嗎
This is not about your ego.
這跟你的自負無關
I know that we color outside the lines a lot,
我知道我們經常越界
but this time, Bell got shot.
但這次,貝爾中槍了
Doesn't that give you pause about how we do our jobs?
這不會讓你停下來想想我們的工作方式嗎
No. Why not?
不會,為什么呢
Why do we get to be above the rules?
為什么我們能凌駕于法律之上
Because our methods work,
因為我們的方法行得通
and I'm comfortable that our actions are guided
而且我很高興我們的行動是以道德
by a morality which supersedes any clumsy employee manual.
而不是愚蠢的員工守則作為指導的
The danger with rulebooks, Watson,
規則的危險,華生
is that they offer the illusion
在于它們讓人幻想
that leading a moral life is a simple undertaking,
引導道德的生活是一項簡單的事業
that the world exists in black and white.
世界非黑即白
Welcome to the grays.
歡迎來到灰色地帶
Miss Watson,
華生小姐
you and your partner have often found yourselves
你和你的搭檔經常在警察前面
inside of crime scenes
到達犯罪現場
and other places of interest ahead of the police,
和其他一些可疑地點
ahead of any kind of warrant.
沒有任何搜查令
Would you say that's a fair assessment?
你覺得這是公正的評價嗎
I'd say it's happened on occasion.
我會說這偶爾會發生
How?
如何發生
We've encountered an unusual number of open doors.
我們遇到過很多大門敞開的情況
Open doors.
大門敞開
I see.
我懂了
Did you ever break into a place to help out a puppy?
你是否曾經闖過空屋去幫助一只小狗
Once. Although we didn't realize
只有一次,但我們進去后
it was a puppy until after we were inside.
才發現那是一只小狗
And how did you and your partner
你和你的搭檔
learn about Mr. Dylan's criminal record?
是如何發現迪蘭先生的犯罪記錄呢
We looked into his background
在等著和他談話的時候
while we were waiting to talk to him.
我們調查了他的背景
Neither of you stole Mr. Dylan's cell phone?
你們兩個都沒有偷過迪蘭先生的手機
No.
沒有
So, you are committed to the same version of events
所以,對這些事你堅持和你搭檔
as your partner?
一樣的說法
No further questions.
沒有問題了
Actually, I'd like to ask a few questions.
事實上,我想問幾個問題
You want to cross-examine your own partner?
你要盤問你的同伴嗎
I am within my rights, Your Honor.
我只是在行使我的權利,法官大人
I'm acting as my own counsel.
我在做自己的辯護律師
Yeah.
好吧
I'll be as brief as I can, Your Honor.
我會盡可能簡單的,法官大人
After you and your partner...
在你和你的搭檔
Uh, should I refer to myself as "Your partner,"
這里我該用'你的搭檔'指代自己
or should I refer to myself in the first person?
還是直接用第一人稱比較好
Doesn't matter.
都可以
Great.
好吧
After you and your partner freed Silas Cole,
在你和你的同伴釋放了塞拉斯·科爾后
how did you go about finding the real killer?
你們是怎么找到真兇的
Rada Hollingsworth died of a potassium overdose.
蕾達·霍林沃斯死于鉀攝入過量
Potassium chloride is something that you can get online,
氯化鉀在網上就能購買到
but to use it in the way that the killer did,
但像兇手那種使用手法
you had to understand the biochemistry of dying tissue.
你必須了解瀕死組織的生化機制
That's why the killer waited over an hour
這就是兇手等了一個多小時
before calling Silas Cole.
才給塞拉斯·科爾打電話的原因
All of that suggested we were looking for someone
這些都表明了我們找尋的兇手
with a medical background.
必須有醫學背景
Hmm. Rada Hollingsworth-- she was a cancer patient.
蕾達·霍林沃斯,她是個癌癥患者
She was attended by a virtual platoon of medical professionals.
她接觸到的醫學專家估計得有一個排
So, are you saying that they were all suspects?
那么你是指他們都有嫌疑
I'm saying that, when we started looking,
我的意思是,在我們一開始調查的時候
none of them were.
他們都沒有嫌疑
We didn't have a motive,
我們沒發現動機
so we went to the morgue.
所以我們就去了停尸間
You examined Rada Hollingsworth's body
為了給調查找線索
in an effort to find an investigative bread crumb.
你檢查了蕾達·霍林沃斯的尸體
Yes.
是的
But I should say,
但我得說
"body" isn't really a 100% accurate way of putting it.
"尸體"并不是百分百準確的表述
The remains of Rada Hollingsworth's internal organs.
蕾達·霍林沃斯的內臟遺骸
Shredded by buckshot.
被鉛彈撕碎
Then dissected by the M.E.
被法醫解剖
Then divvied up, organ by organ, into their own bags.
然后一個個器官地被分開放入袋中
Hmm. This is gonna get messy.
場面會不太好看了啊
Shall we unpack?
該拆包了吧
Do you really want me to describe everything in the bags?
你真的要我一一描述袋里的東西
Well, why don't you just skip to the good bit?
好吧,你還是直接跳到精彩的部分吧
Nothing unusual with the liver.
肝臟沒問題
Her heart-- pretty much just a bunch of muscle fiber.
她的心臟,基本上就是一堆肌肉纖維了
The killer must have put the shotgun barrel right over it.
兇手的散彈槍管肯定直指這里
Now, do we think that this was by chance,
那么,這些都是巧合
or was the obliteration of the heart intentional?
還是故意要消除心臟里的某些痕跡呢
It seems like overkill, literally.
表面上看著像過度殺戮
I mean, she was already dead from the potassium.
我是說,她早就因為鉀攝入過量死亡
You'd only destroy the heart
只有因為你想要隱藏某些東西
if you were looking to conceal something about it.
你才會這么銷毀心臟
Hmm. And how would we determine
那我們又怎么判斷
whether the tissue was healthy when she died?
死前她的心臟是否健康呢
Well, that's what microscopes are for.
這就是顯微鏡的用途
Hand me that box of slides.
把那盒玻片遞給我
Rada's cardiac tissue showed clear signs
蕾達的心肌組織明顯顯示出
of dilated cardiomyopathy.
擴張型心肌病的特征
Her heart was enlarged.
她的心臟開始膨脹
She would have started to feel symptoms
她應該開始感覺到
of congestive heart failure.
充血性心力衰竭的癥狀
Could her enlarged heart have been a result of her cancer?
她膨脹的心臟有可能是因為癌癥導致的嗎
Not directly.
沒有直接關系
And everything in her records looked normal
而且她幾月前的記錄
from a few months previous.
一直都很正常
What, then, do you think caused the change?
那么,你覺得是什么導致了這個
Well, it's not unusual for it
如果是一些
to be a side effect
化療藥物的副作用
of certain chemotherapy drugs,
就一點都不奇怪了
especially more aggressive treatments.
特別是一些用于比較激進的療法中的藥物
Treatments such as the ones
像是由菲尼斯·霍布斯醫生主導的
Rada was receiving on the drug trial
蕾達也正在接受的療法中
run by Dr. Phineas Hobbs?
用到的那種試驗性藥物嗎
The drug was in stage one trials.
這種藥物還在第一試驗階段中
Typically, an experimental drug
通常情況下,這種試驗性藥物
becomes hugely profitable once it gets to stage two.
到了第二階段,它的利潤就會非常可觀
We're talking millions of dollars
只要有人知道了蕾達的情況
that wouldn't have made it into Dr. Hobbs' pockets
數百萬美元就進不了
if anyone learned about Rada's condition.
霍布斯醫生的口袋中
So, in other words, there,
所以,換言之
buried within that bag of posthumous slop, you found...
在那些遺體的內臟中,你發現了...
A motive.
動機
I'm sorry. You told me you had a few follow-up questions.
不好意思,你跟我說要問些后續問題
It sounds like I'm a suspect.
但現在看上去我是嫌疑犯了
You most assuredly are.
的確如此
Well, then, uh, I'm getting a lawyer.
好吧,我要找個律師
Aah! What the hell are you doing?
你干嘛
Hurts quite a bit, doesn't it?
很痛,是吧
I bet you've got a nasty bruise under there.
我猜那下面有塊慘不忍睹的淤青
That's the thing about shotguns.
這就是和散彈槍的壞處
If you don't know how to brace them properly,
如果你不知道正確的使用方法
the kickback will get you every time.
后坐力會讓你每次都受傷
I hurt myself playing squash.
我是玩壁球的時候受傷的
Once you dispatched Rada,
在搞定了蕾達之后
it was time to put your patsy in play.
就是你的替罪羊登場的時候
Well aware of Silas's delusions,
你非常清楚塞拉斯的妄想癥
you telephoned him to come to the crime scene.
所以你打電話給他,讓他去犯罪現場
We think you convinced him he killed Rada.
我們認為你騙他,讓他相信他殺了蕾達
Then you gave him the gun,
然后你把槍給了他
shoved some shotgun shells in his pocket,
塞了點散彈槍殼到他口袋中
and then sent him on his way.
然后讓他上路
I'm sure you thought he'd get gunned down.
我猜你以為他一定會被一槍射殺
Either way, you were covered.
不管怎么樣,你都安全了
Or at least you thought you were.
至少你是這么以為的
But the shotgun didn't just kick back into your shoulder.
但散彈槍的后坐力不僅傷到了你的肩膀
The trigger caught your finger, as well.
扳機還傷到了你的手指
Opened up a nasty little cut, didn't it?
在你手上開了條小口,不是嗎
It's not the kind of thing you'd notice
對第一次犯案的人來說
in the heat of committing your very first murder.
這種小事通常都注意不到
But it drew enough blood that some of it wound up
但你放到塞拉斯口袋里的
in the grooves on the strike plates
子彈殼碎片上的槽溝里
of those shells you put in Silas's pocket.
卻留下了足夠多的血跡
You wiped the shells clean of prints.
你擦干凈了彈殼上的指紋
You're a smart guy.
這點很聰明
But those little grooves-- they're hard to get to.
但那些小槽溝,卻很難清理干凈
We know the blood didn't come from Silas or Rada.
我們都知道那不是塞拉斯或者蕾達的血跡
This is a warrant to compel a DNA test from you.
這是給你的DNA強制測試許可證
We can run the tests, wait for the results, or
我們可以做測試,等結果出來
you can just start talking now.
或者,你可以開始老實交代了
Dr. Hobbs confessed.
霍布斯醫生認罪了
He's losing his medical license,
他丟掉了他的行醫執照
and he's going to jail for a very long time.
還要把牢底坐穿
Thank you, Doctor... Thank you, Miss Watson.
謝謝,醫... 謝謝,華生小姐
A very great pleasure indeed.
深感榮幸
Redirect?
到我了
Then what happened?
然后發生了什么
You mean with Dr. Hobbs?
你是說霍布斯醫生
No. I've seen enough of your mutual
不是,我今天已經看夠
admiration society for one day.
你們互相吹捧的把戲了
I'm talking about the reason we are actually here.
我說的是我們開這個會的原因
The day you got Phineas Hobbs to confess to murder.
你們讓菲尼斯·霍布斯認罪那一天
What happened when you were leaving work?
你們結束工作后發生什么事了
We were just heading out of the station.
我們正走出警局
I'm not learning fencing from you, Holmes.
我不會向你學擊劍的,福爾摩斯
Please stop asking me. It's not fencing.
別一直問我,這不是擊劍
It is singlestick.
這是劍形木棍
Well, whatever it is,
好吧,隨便它是什么
I'm sure it's fascinating, but I'm not interested.
我猜會有趣,但我真的不感興趣
At all. Now, if you want to talk about real sports,
一點都不,但要說到真正的運動
like basketball...
像籃球什么的
You couldn't keep your voice down, huh?
你真是管不住你的嘴啊
Mr. Dylan,
迪蘭先生
it's business hours. Shouldn't you be...
現在是上班時間,你不是應該...
trolling a cancer ward looking for prospective clients?
在癌癥病房里巡視你的潛在客戶嗎
No, 'cause I don't have that job anymore.
沒有,因為我已經沒有工作了
'Cause somebody overheard you at work.
因為在上班時有人聽到你的話了
They heard you say that I've been in jail.
他們聽到你說我蹲過監獄
They told my boss, and he fired me.
告訴了我老板,他就炒了我
Well, that would matter less if you could actually sell...
本來沒什么大礙的,要不是你確實...
What's the opposite of ice to Eskimos?
給愛斯基摩人賣冰的反面是什么
Give the man a break. He just lost his job.
別再說了,他剛丟了工作
Well, perhaps this is an opportunity for you
也許這是給你機會
to do something a little less soul-sucking.
換個不那么喪盡天良的工作
No, I won't be doing anything because my boss
我什么工作都做不了了,因為我老板
called my P.O. and he violated me.
通知了我的假釋官,而他舉報了我
I'm going back to prison.
我要回監獄了
That's a regrettable outcome.
真是讓人遺憾
Regrettable?
讓人遺憾
You ruined my life, man.
你毀了我的人生
You don't get to just walk away.
我不能讓你這么自在逍遙
Gun!
有槍
We got two men down: one officer
有兩人中槍,一名警員
and one suspect.
和一名嫌犯
We need an EMT here ASAP.
趕快派一隊醫護人員過來
No further questions.
我的問題問完了
Well, thank goodness that's over.
謝天謝地終于結束了
Do you have any sense on how the judge is leaning?
你覺得法官會偏向哪邊呢
Guess we'll find out in the morning.
只有明早才能知道了
Yeah.
是啊
I'm gonna head over to see Bell right now.
我現在打算去看貝爾
All right, I'll see you later at the Brownstone.
好吧,等會回褐石屋見
How's it going?
你怎么樣
All right.
還行
I bumped into the nurse on the way in.
進來的時候我遇見了護士
She said that you have some movement back in your arm.
她說你手臂恢復了點知覺
Yeah, that might be a bit of an understatement.
對,而且不只是一點知覺
They said I, uh...
他們說我
might get better.
也許能恢復得更好
In time, physical therapy can do wonders with nerve damage.
堅持理療對神經損傷能有顯著療效
I've seen it.
我見過這樣的例子
The, uh...
那個
the department...
局里面
requires detectives to carry a gun,
要求警探佩槍
so...
所以
what happens if I can't anymore?
要是我不能持槍了怎么辦
What are his chances of making a full recovery?
他完全康復的幾率有多大
Well, he's young and healthy, which is good,
他還年輕且身體健康,這是好事
but there's no way to tell how much function he'll regain.
但無法知道他能恢復多少手部功能
Practicing left-handed is one way
練習使用左手能表現出
to show you care about what happened.
你在乎這件事
A better one would be to visit him.
但更好的做法是去看看他
I'm well aware of your feelings on the matter,
你在邏輯上繞圈子
even if your logic eludes me.
但我很清楚你對這事的態度
This is not about logic. It's the right thing to do.
這不是邏輯的問題,是應該做的事
It would be an empty gesture.
那沒有任何實際意義
Unlike you, I have no medical insight to offer him.
不像你,我不能提供給他醫學上的見解
And I can't imagine my presence would be anything
我的出現除了妨礙他的隱私以外
more than an invasion of his privacy.
別無其他作用
I don't care if you lie in court, but do not lie to me.
你在庭上撒謊就算了,但不要騙我
This is not about Bell's privacy.
這跟貝爾的隱私無關
This is about your guilt.
是因為你的內疚
Look, you're not directly responsible for what happened--
聽著,這事不是你的責任
that is on James Dylan.
只能怪詹姆斯·迪蘭
But this time, your fondness for blowing past
可這一次,你無視官僚權級的一貫作風
"bureaucratic guidepost" got a man you respect shot.
害一個你尊敬的人中槍
If I went, what would I say?
就算我去了,我能說什么呢
I've got nothing to offer the man other than a few banal bromides.
除了那些陳詞濫調,我什么都說不了
What makes you think that's not enough?
為什么你覺得那些不夠呢
This hearing has left me
聽證會讓我堅信
no doubt that Sherlock Holmes is a singular mind,
夏洛克·福爾摩斯是個天賦異稟的人
and the work that he's done with Joan Watson has been
他和喬恩·華生的工作一直讓紐約警局
an asset to the NYPD.
大受裨益
Now, that an officer was wounded during the course of that work
可現在有一名警員在這個過程中受傷
is a highly regrettable outcome
這是十分讓人遺憾的事
but one that occurs in law enforcement.
但在執法部門也時有發生
Another regrettable outcome in law enforcement
執法部門的另一件憾事
is when officers decide that they are
就是警員覺得自己臨駕于
above the rules.
司法制度之上
So in spite of Mr. Holmes'
所以盡管福爾摩斯先生
good intentions, he's demonstrated amply
意圖良好,卻充分展現出
that he doesn't care to control his actions.
他覺得毫無必要控制自身行為
As such, my recommendation to the commissioner
基于這些,我給局長的建議是
will be that Mr. Holmes and Ms. Watson be terminated
終止福爾摩斯先生和華生女士
as consultants to the NYPD.
與紐約警局的顧問關系
You needn't gloat.
不必幸災樂禍
It's unbecoming of the good work that you did.
這跟你打贏的勝仗很不相稱
I'm not here to spike the ball.
我不是要炫耀
I'm going to a meeting.
我要去參加互助會
Seems like... maybe you should come with me.
也許你該和我一起去
Boy, the Giants sure do suck this year.
老天,今年巨人隊(紐約橄欖球隊)太弱了
Commissioner.
局長
I'm not watching the Giants.
我沒看巨人隊的比賽
I know. Just felt like it needed to be said.
我知道,只是覺得要一吐為快
I wanted to make sure they're taking good care of you here.
我想確保醫院的人有好好照顧你
The hearing ended today. The judge recommended
聽證會今天結束了,法官建議
that I end our arrangement with Holmes and his partner.
我終止局里跟福爾摩斯和他搭檔的合作
It's just a recommendation, though.
但這只是個建議
The decision's mine.
決定權還是在我
And I'll admit it...
不得不說
I'm struggling with it.
我很猶豫
Captain Gregson pointed out that...
格雷森警監告訴我
tossing Holmes opens the department up to charges
終止合作意味著所有福爾摩斯參與過的案子
of impropriety on every case Holmes worked on.
都會讓局里被控辦案過程不當
That's a lot of closed cases that could get opened up again.
可能就有很多結案要被推翻
Clearly, Holmes is a... loose cannon.
很顯然,福爾摩斯一貫我行我素
But this time, a first grade detective
但這次,一位一級警探
got caught in his crossfire.
因為他而中槍
Facing danger from a guy on your own team...
要面臨來自同伴的危險
can I really ask officers to do that?
我真的能要求我的警官這樣做嗎
Wait, are you...
等等,你是...
You're asking me what you should do?
你是在問我該怎么做嗎
How could I not?
我怎么能不問呢
You've been working with the guy for a long time,
你跟這家伙共事了這么久
and... you're the one who caught a bullet.
而且中槍的也是你
I heard your hearing didn't go too well.
聽說你的聽證會不太順利
Not well at all.
是非常不順
But the commissioner decided not
法官建議終止與我合作
to accept the judge's recommendation to terminate me.
但局長沒有接受
So I'm staying on as a consultant after all.
所以我還是留下繼續做顧問
With a little, uh, additional oversight.
不過會對我多些監督
Congratulations.
恭喜你
Any idea what changed his mind?
知道局長為何改變主意嗎
There's much I should say to you.
我有好多話該對你說
Thanks.
首先謝謝你
For intervening with James Dylan.
替我擋了詹姆斯·迪蘭的子彈
You may very well have saved my life.
你可能因此救了我一命
And, uh, I apologize.
其次我向你道歉
I had James Dylan's name before we went to see him.
去找詹姆斯·迪蘭之前我就知道他的名字
I should have done some proper research
我應該在擅自拿他手機前
before I helped myself to his phone.
對他做些調查
I should have been more discreet when I was attempting
在套他的話之前
to loosen his tongue.
我應該更小心謹慎
I could have provoked him less outside the police station.
在警局外面我也不該那么激怒他
I could've...
我本可以...
There's any number of ways that this could've turned out
要不是你,這事還不一定
other than the way it did.
會發展成什么樣
I hate what happened to you.
對于你的遭遇我很抱歉
And whatever role I played in it.
我更討厭這事是因我而起
That's why I've been avoiding this visit.
所以我才一直不來看你
So, the palsy in your hand...
對你手部麻痹的癥狀
I've done some research.
我做了些調查
The clinic with the highest rate of recovery is in Gstaad.
康復率最高的診所位于格斯塔德(瑞士城市)
I've communicated with the director,
我跟那里的負責人聯系過
and they would be happy to take you on straightaway.
他們很樂意立刻接受你入院就診
But if you'd rather stay in New York,
但如果你想待在紐約
their top physician travels here frequently
他們最好的醫師經常會來這邊
and could consult with local specialists.
可以跟這里的專家一起會診
All at no cost to you, obviously.
當然你自己不用花一分錢
Well, I'll just, uh...
那我就...
I'll just leave you with their card.
把他們的名片留給你
I feel good about the doctors here.
我覺得這里的醫生挺好的
These people are at the top of their field...
這些人可是該領域的權威
Holmes, I don't want a favor from you.
福爾摩斯,我不想欠你人情
I'd rather not see you around here.
我寧愿你不要過來看我