Selected Scene 2
場景2
Joe, on his way to Kathleen's apartment building, carrying a bunch of daisies, wrapped in cellophane. Joe goes up the stoop to her building and presses at buzzer.
喬手捧著一大束用玻璃禮品紙精致包裹的雛菊,走向凱瑟琳的公寓。喬站凱瑟琳公寓門前的臺階上,按響了對講器。
Kathleen: (voice clogged, through intercom ) Who is it?
凱瑟琳:誰啊?
Joe: It's Joe Fox.
喬:是喬·福克斯。
Kathleen: What are you doing here?
凱瑟琳:你來干什么?
Joe: Hi, may I please come up?
喬:我能上來嗎?
Kathleen: No, I don't, no, I don't really think that... that is a good idea. Someone else walks up to the door, unlocks it and walks in. Joe follows.
凱瑟琳:不,不,不行。我不認為這是個好主意。有人打開門,走了進去,喬也跟著進去了。
Kathleen: ( into the intercom ) I have a terrible cold, can you hear that? Listen, I'm sniffling and I'm not really awake-and I'm taking echinacea—and vitamin C and sleeping practically twenty-four hours a day. I have a temperature and I think I'm contagious so I would really appreciate it if you would just go away...
凱瑟琳:(對著對講機講)我感冒了,你聽到了嗎?聽著,我鼻子不通氣,而且昏昏欲睡,因為吃了些感冒藥和維生素C,我可能要睡上一天。我還發著燒呢,我的病可能會傳染的,你還是走吧,我謝謝你了。
Joe: ( knock on the door), Kathleen?
喬:(敲門)凱瑟琳?
Kathleen: HAHA, Just a second. Just a second.
凱瑟琳:哦,等一下,等一下啊。
Joe: Hello.
喬:嗨!
Kathleen: Hello. What are you doing here?
凱瑟琳:嗨!你來做什么?
Joe: I heard you were sick and I was worried and I wanted to make sure.
喬:聽說你病了,我有點擔心,過來看一下……
Kathleen: What?
凱瑟琳:什么?
Joe: Is there somebody here?
喬:家里有人嗎?
Kathleen: No. Oh, it's the Home Shopping Network.
凱瑟琳:沒有,是家庭網上購物系統。
Joe: Oh, do you buy any of those little porcelain dolls?
喬:哦,有沒有買些小瓷娃娃?
Kathleen: I was thinking about it. Hey you put me out of business.
凱瑟琳:想過,嗨,你把我的生意搞垮了。
Joe: Uh, yes, I did.
喬:嗯,是的。
Kathleen : Did you come to gloat?
凱瑟琳:你就是來幸災樂禍的?
Joe: No.
喬:不是。
Kathleen: To offer me a job.
凱瑟琳:還是要給我一份工作?
Joe: I would never...
喬:我從來不……
Kathleen: Because I have plans, I have plenty of offers, you know? I got offered a job by...
凱瑟琳:我有我自己的打算,我有許多職業選擇呢,知道嗎?其中一個是你的……
Joe: My former?
喬:我的前任女友?
Kathleen: Oh, yeah, actually by... Oh, your former?
凱瑟琳:哦,是的,實際上是……你的前任女友?
Joe: We broke up.
喬:我們分手了。
Kathleen: That's too bad. You were so perfect for each other. I don't mean to say things like that. No matter what you have done to me, there is no excuse for my saying anything like that. But every time I see you...
凱瑟琳:太可惜了,你們是如此的般配!哦,我不是那個意思。無論你怎么傷害我,我都不應該這么說的。但是每次見到你就會……
Joe: Things like that just fly out of your mouth.
喬:那些話就會不由自主地冒出來?
Kathleen: Yes.
凱瑟琳:是的。