1、defend
防御;保衛;保護
Every man who could fight was now committed to defend the ridge.
每個能夠參加戰斗的男子現在都決心要保衛這條山脊。
His courage in defending religious and civil rights inspired many outside the church.
他在捍衛宗教和公民權利時所表現出來的勇氣鼓舞了許多教會之外的人。
替…辯護;為…辯解;維護
Matt defended all of Clarence's decisions, right or wrong.
克拉倫斯的決定,不管對錯,馬特都予以維護。
The author defends herself against charges of racism by noting that blacks are only one of her targets.
面對種族主義指控,作者替自己辯護說黑人只是她的抨擊目標之一。
(律師)為(被告)辯護
a lawyer who defended political prisoners during the military regime.
在軍人政權時期為政治犯辯護的律師
He has hired a lawyer to defend him against the allegations..
他已聘請了一位律師針對這些指控為自己辯護。
2、get back
恢復(原來的狀態)
Then life started to get back to normal.
隨后生活又恢復了正常。
I couldn't get back to sleep.
我再也睡不著了。
回到,重提(原來的話題)
It wasn't until we had sat down to eat that we got back to the subject of Tom Halliday.
我們直到坐下來吃飯時才又提起湯姆·哈利迪這個話題。
對…進行報復
The divorce process should not be used as a means to get back at your former partner.
不應該在辦理離婚手續上報復以前的伴侶。
I'm going to get you back so badly you'll never to be able to show your face again.
我要狠狠地還以顏色,讓你從此無臉見人。
3、get off
免受懲罰;逃脫(嚴厲的)懲罰
He is likely to get off with a small fine.
他可能會逃脫嚴懲,僅僅罰一點錢了事。
出發;離開
At eight I said 'I'm getting off now.'
8點鐘的時候,我說“我現在要出發了。”
把手拿開;別碰
I kept telling him to get off.
我不斷地叫他把手拿開。
'Get off me!' I screamed.
“別碰我!”我尖叫道。