Selected Scene 1
場景 1
Myra: Hello.
邁拉:你好!
Roy: Oh, hello. I'm delighted. I was afraid Kitty had directed you to the wrong place.
羅伊:噢,你好!我很高興,我還擔心凱蒂給你指錯地方了呢。
Myra: Oh, no. but your note was read out before the whole crowd.
邁拉:噢,沒有,不過你的紙條讓我在大家面前念了出來。
Roy: Were you embarrassed?
羅伊:你很尷尬吧?
Myra: Yes, and so would you have been.
邁拉:是的,如果是你也會尷尬的。
Roy: I dare say. I'm afraid I've made it difficult for you.
羅伊:可能是吧,恐怕我讓你為難了。
Myra: Well, you gave up the colonel, so I expect I made it difficult for you too.
邁拉:噢,你放棄了上校,因此我想我也讓你為難了。
Roy: Yes, you did, but I have my reward. It was wonderful of you to have come. Shall we go in?
羅伊:是的,但我得到了獎賞。你來了真好,我們進去吧?
Myra: All right.
邁拉:好的。
They go into the club, choose a table, then sit down.
他們走進俱樂部,選了一張桌子,然后坐下。
Roy: How nice you look.
羅伊:你真美。
Myra: Thank you.
邁拉:謝謝。
Roy: What do dancers eat?
羅伊:舞蹈演員吃什么?
Myra: Oh, dull things mostly. Nutritious yet not fattening.
邁拉:噢,大多是一些沒有味道、營養豐富、卻不會讓人發胖的東西。
Roy: Oh, no, not tonight. (To waiter) What could you suggest that would be particularly rich and indigestible?
羅伊:噢,不,今晚不行。(面對侍者)你能推薦一種特別美味、不易消化的食品嗎?
Waiter: The crepes is very nice, sir.
侍者:薄煎餅非常不錯,先生。
Roy: And wine. It isn't against the rules for a dancer to drink a little light wine, is it?
羅伊:再來點兒酒,喝點低度酒不違反舞蹈演員的戒律吧?
Myra: well, tonight...
邁拉:噢,今晚……
Roy: Good, Number Forty please.
羅伊:好的,40號。
Waiter: Number Forty.
侍者:40號。
Roy: The ballet was beautiful.
羅伊:剛才的芭蕾舞真美。
Myra: Madame didn't think so.
邁拉:夫人可不這樣想。
Roy: Well, experts never know, it takes outsiders to know, and I tell you it was beautiful.
羅伊:噢,行家永遠不懂,外行才懂。我告訴你剛才的芭蕾舞很美。
Myra: That certainly proves you're an outsider.
邁拉:那就正好證明你是外行。
Roy: Are you... glad to see me again?
羅伊:你……再次見到我高興嗎?
Myra: Yes.
邁拉:是的。
Roy: I sense a reservation.
羅伊:我感覺你有點兒保留。
Myra: well, I suppose there is one.
邁拉:噢,我想是有點兒。
Roy: What? Why?
羅伊:什么?為什么?
Myra: What's the good of it?
邁拉:這有什么好處?
Roy: You're a strange girl, aren't you? What's the good of anything? What's the good of living?
羅伊:你是一個奇特的女孩,不是嗎?一切有什么好處?活著有什么好處?
Myra: That's a question, too.
邁拉:那也是一個問題。
Roy: Oh, now wait a minute now, I'm not going to let you get away with that. The wonderful thing about living is that this sort of thing can happen. In the shadow of a death raid, I can meet you and feel more intensely alive than walking around in peacetime and taking my life for granted.
羅伊:噢,等一下,在這一點上我是不會放過你的。生活的美好就在于會發生這種事:在死亡空襲的陰影下我能遇到你,這比在和平時期到處漠然閑逛更能讓我強烈地感受到生命。
Myra: It's a high price to pay for it.
邁拉:為此付出的代價很高。
Roy: I don't think so.
羅伊:我不這樣認為。
Myra: I do, Do people have to kill each other to give them a heightened sense of life?
邁拉:我就是這么認為的。難道人們必須自相殘殺才能強烈感受到生活嗎?
Roy: That's got nothing to do with people killing each other. Either you're excited about life or you're not. You know I've never been able to wait for the future. When I was very young, a child in fact, climbed to the top branch of a high tall, stood like a diver, and announced to my horrified governess, now I shall take a leap into the future, and jumped. I was in the hospital for two months.
羅伊:這和人們相互殘殺無關。你要么對生活感到激動,要么不。你要知道,我從來等不及未來。小時候,實際上還是一個小孩子,我爬上一棵大樹的最高枝上,像潛水員一樣站著,對嚇壞了的女管家宣布說,現在我要跳進未來,就跳下付出了,結果我住了兩個月醫院。
Myra: You should let the future catch up with you more slowly.
邁拉:你應該讓未來慢慢趕上你。
Roy: Oh, no, no, never. Temperament. I can't help it. Look here, if we'd met in ordinary times in an ordinary way, we'd just about be telling each other what schools we went to. We're much further along, don't you think?
羅伊:噢,不,不,絕不。我的脾氣就是這樣,我忍不住。你看,如果我們在平常時期以平常方式相遇。只會跟對方說上過什么學校。我們現在說的要遠得多,你不這樣認為嗎?
Myra: Are we?
邁拉:是嗎?
Roy: You know we are. Now, I'm too excited to eat, let's dance.
羅伊:你知道是這樣。好了,我太高興了,吃不下,我們跳舞吧。
Myra: All right.
邁拉:好吧。