詞匯精講:
1.situation
Exp. (fml 文) paid job 有酬勞的工作; 職業
Eg. situations vacant/situations wanted 招聘求職
Eg. You will have to find a situation because I cannot support our family at my expense.
你必須要去找份工作了,我的開支不能支撐這個家庭了。
2.wonder
Exp. ask oneself 自問;自忖
Eg. I wonder who he is.
我不知道他究竟是誰。
Eg. I wonder whether they will arrive on time.
我也不知道他們能不能準時到。
Eg. I wonder how he could manage to possess himself of that secret.
不知道他是怎樣把那個秘密弄到手的。
Eg. I do wonder if any of us will ever get our wishes.
我真不知道咱們中間是不是有人會如愿以償呢?
Eg. I wonder if he is a spy.
我不知道他是不是密探。
3.find
Usage: ~ sth/sb (for sb)
Exp. discover sth/sb by searching, inquiry or effort (經尋找﹑ 詢問或努力)發現某事物某人
Eg. Can you find me a hotel/find a hotel for me?
你能給我找一家旅館嗎?
Eg. Have you found an answer to this question?
你們找到問題的答案了嗎?
4.delay
Usage: delay doing sth
Exp. put (sth) off until later; postpone 推遲(某事);延期
Eg. We must delay our journey until the weather improves.
我們必須把旅行推遲, 等天氣好轉再說。
Eg. Why have they delayed opening the school?
他們為什么延期開學?
5.lowly
Exp. (dated 舊) of humble rank or condition 地位低的;卑微的
Eg. He had a lowly heart.
他有謙遜的心。
Eg. The saint had a lowly heart.
圣人有謙誠之心。
6.scorn
Usage: scorn doing sth
Exp. (fml 文) reject (sth one is too proud to do) 不屑做(某事)
Eg. He is always scorning to ask for help.
他總是不屑于求助。
Eg. He scorns telling lies.
他鄙夷說謊的行為。
6.intend
Usage: ~ sth (as sth)
Exp. have (a particular purpose or plan) in mind; mean 打算; 意欲; 想要
Eg. I meant it to be an informal discussion, but it didn't turn out as I intended it should.
我本想隨便商量一下, 結果事與愿違。
Eg. It's not what I intended it to be.
那并不是我的本意。
Eg. I hear they intend to marry/intend marrying.
聽說他們要結婚了。
Eg. I don't intend to listen to this rubbish any longer!
我再也不想聽這種無稽之談了!
Eg. I intended it as a joke.
我不過說笑罷了。
Eg. He intends you no harm, ie does not plan to harm you.
他對你并無惡。
7.comprehend
Exp. understand (sth) fully 全面理解﹑ 了解﹑ 領會(某事物)
Eg. He failed to comprehend the full seriousness of the situation.
他未能充分理解形勢的嚴重性。
Eg. I cannot comprehend how you could have been so stupid.
我真不明白你怎么那么蠢。
Eg. I cannot comprehend this phrase.
我無法理解這個片語。
8.accomplishment
Exp. skill that can be learnt, esp in the social arts 才藝, 技藝, 教養(尤指在社交方面)
Eg. Dancing and singing were among her many accomplishments.
她多才多藝,能歌善舞。
9.fear
Exp. be afraid of (sb/sth) 害怕(某人某事物); 懼怕
Eg. Everyone fears death.
每個人都怕死。
Eg. The plague was greatly feared in the Middle Ages.
中世紀時這種瘟疫十分可怕。
10.cottage小屋,村舍
Exp. small simple house, esp in the country 簡陋的小屋; (尤指)村舍
Eg. It is a farm labourers' cottage.
農場雇工的小屋。
11.benefactor恩人, 捐助者, 贈送者
12.schoolmistress女教師;女校長
13.parish教區, 教區的全體居民
短語提煉:
1. do with:對待,處理
2. shan't:shall not
3. some time ago:前些日子
4. take over:接手,接管
5. open a school for girls:看辦一所女子學校
6. a village school:一所鄉村學校
7. fine accomplishments:出色的才藝
8. hear of:打聽,聽說
9. delaye doing sth:延誤做某事
10. lowly work:卑微的工作
11. find sb a situation:為某人找到一份工作
12. pay for:付給,給予
13. receive 15:得到15元
重點短語精講:
1.do with
Eg. He has to do with all sorts of people.
他得和各種各樣的人打交道。
Eg. What do you do with those other eight hours.
你怎么渡過另外八小時.
Eg. What am I supposed to do with the documents?
我該怎么處理這文件?
2.some time ago
Eg. He swore to having seen that movie some time ago.
他說他不久前肯定看過那部電影。
Eg. I was quite busy some time ago.
前些日子我好忙了一陣子。
Eg. Short skirts went out some time ago, but they've come back again.
短裙在若干時候以前已經過時,但最近又時興起來。
Eg. Can't you see they broke up some time ago?
你看不出他們不久前已吹了嗎?
3.take over
Eg. Robert tried to take over the business for his wife's sake.
為了他妻子的緣故,羅伯特設法接管業務。
Eg. Lao Wang was sent to the hospital;had to take over his work.
老王住院了,我得接替他的工作。
Eg. Professional made dancers began to take over the "noble" of leading roles in ballet.
職業男演員開始擔任芭蕾中為"貴族"的主要角色。
Eg. He take over from his predecessor last May.
去年5月他接替了他的前任。
3. hear of
Eg. How come you to hear of it?
你怎么知道的?
Eg. I was shocked to hear of his poor death.
聽到他慘遭不幸的噩耗, 我十分震驚。
Eg. We grieved to hear of your loss.
聽到你蒙受損失,我們感到痛心。
Eg. I am very much surprised to hear of his failure.
我聽到他失敗的事感到吃驚。
初級口語句型:
Sb wonders if + 從句
不知道知道是否.......
Eg. I wonder if she has returned yet.
我不知道她是否已經回來了。
Eg. I wonder if this picture can be restored.
我很想知道這幅畫能否修復。