詞匯精講:
1.parentage出身
Eg. She was born of humble parentage.
她出身卑賤。
2.orphan孤兒
Eg. Having no children of their own they decided to adopt an orphan.
他們因沒有親生兒女,所以決定領養一個孤兒。
3.deathbed臨死所臥之床, 臨終之時
Eg. He forgave her on his deathbed.
他在臨終之時原諒了她。
4.spite惡意, 怨恨
Eg. I'm sure he took my parking space just out of spite.
我認為他侵占我的停車位肯定是有意和我作對。
5.deceit欺騙, 詭計, 不誠實
Eg. Furious at his deceit, she let fly at him with a stream of abuse.
他欺騙人,氣得她把他大罵了一頓。
6.assured確定的 放心的
Eg.Her success as an actress was now assured.
她當演員很成功,已毋庸置疑了。
7.wickedness邪惡
Eg. May God cleanse my wickedness.
愿上帝洗凈我的邪惡。
重點詞匯精講:
1.root
Usage:root sth out
Exp. Destroy sthc ompletely根除,杜絕
Eg. They are determined to root out corruption
他們決心根除腐敗現象。
Eg. I am going to root out every wasp's nest in the garden.
我要把花園里所有的黃蜂窩都端掉。
Eg. We must root out the source of this problem.
我們必須根絕問題的來源。
2.ungrateful
Usage:~ (to sb) (for sth)
Exp. not recognizing a kindness, service, etc; not grateful 不感激的; 不領情的; 忘恩負義的
Eg. How dare you! You've got a lot of nerve to do that to me. You ungrateful wretch!
好大的膽!你竟敢對我干出這種事。你這個忘恩負義的壞蛋!
Eg. He seems so ungrateful for anything we did that we have given up trying to help him.
他似乎對我們所作的一切都毫不領情,因此我們也不愿再幫助他了。
3.exhorte
Usage:~ sb (to sth)
Exp. (fml 文) advise sb strongly or earnestly; urge sb 勸告, 規勸或告誡(某人)
Eg. The chairman exhorted the party workers to action.
主席敦促黨的工作人員采取行動。
Eg. The teacher exhorted him to work hard。
教師諄諄告誡他要用功.
短語精講:
1.on one's deathbed:在臨終時, 在生命垂危時
Eg. On his deathbed he wrote a letter to the Soviet Union as part of his testament.
他在臨終的時候,還寫了一封給蘇聯的信,當作他的一份遺囑。
Eg. She is on her deathbed.
她奄奄一息。
Eg. You mean the one that my grandmother made me swear on her deathbed that I would never let out of our family?
你說的是我祖母在臨終之前讓我發誓絕不外傳的獨家秘方?
2.care for:照顧,照料
Eg. I wonder whether they will care for us all to go there.
我不知道他們是否喜歡我們都到那兒去。
Eg. It seemed to be her mission to care for her brother's children.
照顧她兄弟的孩子似乎成了她一生的使命。
3.treated sb as one of one's own:視如己出
4.keep an eye on:留神,照看,密切注意
Eg. I'll keep an eye on the matter.
這事兒我在心就是了。
Eg. We must keep an eye on her.
我們得注意她。
Eg. She keeps an eye on me and won't let me be shabby.
她監視著我,不讓我穿得寒愴。
The doorman kept a wary eye on strangers.
門房密切注意陌生人。
5.has a heart of spite:有一個邪惡的心
6.rest assured:放心
Eg. You may rest assured that we shall do all we can.
你可以放心我們一定會盡力而為。
Eg. Rest assured that you'll receive the best care.
請放心,你會得到最好的照顧的。
Eg. You may rest assured that we will take your views into consideration.
Rest assured of that; you well know that our interests are the same.
這一點你盡管放心,你很明白,我們有著共同的利害。
7.root out:斬草除根,根除杜絕
Eg. Do you think it is possible to root out crime?
你認為可以根除犯罪嗎?
Eg. It is vain to attempt to root out heresy by force.
試圖用暴力消除異端邪說是徒勞的。
8.as for:至于
Eg. As for you, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.
至于你,你應該感到慚愧。
Eg. As for the hotel, it was very uncomfortable and miles from the sea.
至于旅館了,非常不舒服,而且離海邊有好幾里地。
特別說明:該節目有可可原創,需轉載請注明出處。