發現了讓自己動心的網友正是街角書店老板后,猶豫了一陣的Joe還是出現了。不過,他依舊不改嘲諷,刻薄的講話方式,這讓既氣憤又無可奈何的Kathleen居然一反常態的與其針鋒相對起來。
Joe: Kathleen Cally, Hello. This is a coincidence. Would you mind if I sat down? 真巧。介意我坐下嗎?
Kathleen: Yes, I would, actually. I'm expecting someone. Thanks. 是的,事實上我介意。我在等人。
Joe: Pride and Prejudice. 《傲慢與偏見》。
Kathleen: Do you mind… 你可否
Joe: I bet you read that book every year. I bet you just love that... Mr. Darcy. Your sentimental heart beats wildly at the thought he and...whatever her name is are truly, honestly going to end up together.介意嗎?我打賭你每年都看這個。你一定很喜歡那個達西先生。一想到他和那個叫什么的,能夠真實的,忠誠地最后相守,你那多愁善感的心就會猛跳。
Can I get you something? 想要喝點什么?
Kathleen: He's not staying. 他不坐這兒。
Joe: Mochaccino decaf, nonfat. 一杯卡布奇諾,無熱量,低咖啡因。
Kathleen: You are not staying! 你不能坐這兒。
Joe: I'll stay until your friend gets here. Is he late? 你朋友一來我就走。他遲到了?
Kathleen: The heroine of Pride and Prejudice is Elizabeth Bennet. She is one of the greatest and most complex character. Not that you would know. 《傲慢與偏見》的女主角是最偉大,最復雜的角色之一。你怎么可能明白。
Joe: As a matter of fact, I've read it. 事實上,我已經看過這本書了。
Kathleen: Good for you. 對你是件好事兒。
Joe: You'd discover a lot things if you really know me. 如果你真的了解我,會發現很多。
Kathleen: If I really knew you I know what I'd find you, instead of a brain, a cash register. Instead of a heart, a bottom line. 如果我真的了解你,就會知道,你的心就是一個收銀機;你的心就是一本賬簿。
Joe: What? 怎么了?
Kathleen: I just had a breakthrough. 我剛剛突破了。
Joe: What is it? 什么意思?
Kathleen: I would thank you for the first time in my life, when confronted with a horrible, insensitive person...I knew exactly what I wanna to say, and I said it. 我想我該謝謝你。我這一輩子第一次在見到壞人,麻木不仁的人時能把想說的說出來。
Joe: Well, I think you have the gift for it. That's a perfect blend of poetry and meanness. 我想你在這方面很有天賦。這是詩歌和惡毒的完美結合。
Kathleen: Meanness. Let me tell you something about meanness. 我惡毒。我來告訴你什么叫惡毒。
Joe: Don't misunderstand. I'm paying you a compliment. 別誤會。我只是想稱贊你。
Kathleen: Oh, why are you touching that. What are you doing? 你干嘛碰它。你在干什么?
Joe: Is this a red rose? No, it's a crimson rose. Something you read in a book. 玫瑰嗎?不,深紅色的玫瑰。是你在書里讀到的?
Kathleen: It's funny to you, isn't it? Everything is a joke to you. 對你來說很可笑,是吧?對你來說什么都是笑話。
之前在面對Joe的咄咄逼人時,Kathleen都是只能張著嘴,氣憤地看著對方,卻說不出一句話來。這一次,用Kathleen的說法,she had a breakthrough. Breakthrough“突破性進展”。 這一次,終于突破自我了,在面對terrible, insensitive糟糕的人,麻木不仁的人時,能說出心里想說的話。她稱如果了解對方,會發現I'd find you, instead of a brain, a cash register. Instead of a heart, a bottom line。發現你的大腦是個收銀機,你的心,是一個賬本。a bottom line, 除了“底線”,還有“賬本盈虧結算”的意思。這里就指“賬本”。
Joe當然不示弱,說能做到這點是詩和惡毒的完美結合。并說他這樣的評價是pay a compliment. 這個短語表示“恭維”。再比如:When you cannot get a compliment in any other way pay yourself one. 當你別無它法獲得稱贊之時,就自己稱贊自己。
兩個人的針鋒相對還沒結束。到底誰會在這場唇舌之戰中獲得最后勝利呢?敬請關注下期影音時尚口語。