面臨書店倒閉的Kathleen非常煩惱,于是同意和一直在網上給她支招的網友見面。在去往見面咖啡館的路上,Joe緊張萬分。時不時后悔提出見面請求。到了地方,他甚至沒有勇氣親自去看看對方的模樣。真正動心了的Joe在得知對方就是Kathleen后,一時無語。
Kevin: So I suppose she's carrying a copy of a book with a flower in it? Not really? She could be a real dog, man. 所以她要拿著一本書上面插一朵花嘍! 真的嗎,她可能很難看。
Joe: I'm only staying 10 minutes. I’m gonna say hello, have a cup of coffee and then I'll split. That’s what I’m going to do. Hope she doesn't have a squeaky voice like the mice in Cinderella. Why am I even doing this? Why am I compelled to even meet her? 我只待十分鐘,打個招呼、喝杯咖啡我就離開,我就這樣做。我希望她的聲音不會像灰姑娘里面的老鼠那么尖。我為什么要這樣做?我為什么要見她?
Kevin: Relax. You're taking it to the next level. I always do that. I always take a relationship to the next level. If that works out, I take it to the next level after that. Till I finally reach that level where it becomes absolutely necessary...for me to leave. 放輕松一點。你只想更進一步。我常這樣做,讓男女關系更進一步。如果成功,再進下一步,直到到了一種我非要離開的程度。
Joe: I’m not going to stay that long anyway. I already said that, didn't I? 我不會在那里待太久,我說過這句話了,對吧?
Kevin: Yes, you did. 是的,你說了。
OK. Cafe Lalo. This is it. Eight o'clock. We got here fast, didn't we? Kevin...this woman is the most adorable creature I’ve ever been in contact with. If she turns out even to be as good-looking as a mailbox...I'd be crazy not to turn my life upside down and marry her. 拉羅咖啡館,我們到了。八點鐘,我們來的太早,對吧。凱文,哪怕她長的只比郵筒好看點兒我都會不擇手段跟她結婚。
Kevin: She could be a real dog. But good luck. 她也可能很丑,祝你好運。
Joe: Would you go and look for me? Just go and look through the window and check her out. Please? 你進去幫我看看。過去通過窗戶看看她。
Kevin: You're pathetic, man. 你個可憐的家伙。
Joe: I know. 我知道。
Kevin: All right. I'll see what I see. 好,我看看。我去看看。
Joe: You see her? 看到了嗎?
Kevin: Wait, yeah. I see a very beautiful girl. She's fine. 等等,是的。我看到了一個非常漂亮的女孩。她很好。
Joe: I knew it. 我就知道。
Kevin: She's gorgeous. 她美呆了。
Joe: I knew she would be. 我就知道。
Kevin: But no book. All right. Okay, wait. Wait a minute. There's a book with a flower. So this got to be her. 但是沒有書。好吧。好吧,等一下…我看到一本書和一朵花。一定是她!
Joe: What does she look like? 她什么樣兒?
Kevin: Can't see. Waiter's blocking. 看不見。侍者擋住了。
Joe: Damn it! 真是!
Kevin: He's moving. 走了走了。
Joe: Can you see her? Can you see her? 你能看見她嗎?能看見她嗎?
Kevin: Yeah. 是的。
Joe: And? 然后?
Kevin: She's very pretty. 她很漂亮。很漂亮。
Joe: She is! I knew she would be! She had to be! She had to be!我就知道! 她必須漂亮,必須漂亮。
Kevin: You know what? She look--I mean, she almost has the same coloring as...that Kathleen Kelly person. 你知道嗎?她看上去,我的意思是,她和那個Kathleen Kelly幾乎長的一樣。
Joe: Kathleen Kelly of the bookstore? 書店的那個Kathleen Kelly?
Kevin: Why not? You said you thought she was attractive. 怎么不能是她?你說你覺得她挺迷人的。
Joe: Absolutely yes. Why not? Who cares about Kathleen Kelly? 當然。可是,這和Kathleen Kelly有什么關系?
Kevin: Well, if you don't like Kathleen Kelly...I can tell you right now...you aren’t going to like this girl. 如果你不喜歡凱薩琳,那你一定不會喜歡她。
Why not? 為什么不會?
Kevin: Because it is Kathleen Kelly. So what are you going to do? 因為她就是凱薩琳。你準備怎么辦?
Joe: Nothing. 什么都不做。
Kevin: You're going to let her wait all night? 不會吧,讓她在那邊等?
Joe: That's exactly what I'm going to do. Good night Kevin. I'll see you in the morning. 是的,我正準備這么做。凱文,明早見。
Kevin打趣說Joe竟然要見網友,對方可能是a real dog,讓他興趣全無。這里a real dog意思是“邋遢、丑陋的人”。
不過,通過信件往來,Joe真心的喜歡上這個網友,表示只要她長得不比郵筒難看,他就會turn his life upside down and marry her. Turn one’s life upside down表示“讓某人生活發生巨大的變化”。一直游戲人間,也會為了對方結婚,安定下來。
當朋友告訴她對方很漂亮的時候,他欣喜若狂,可隨后得知,she has the same coloring as Kathleen Kelly, 這里,coloring相當于appearance “外貌;外表”。
一時難以接受事實的Joe無言以對,選擇轉身離開。這一段美好的情感要如何繼續下去呢?請您繼續關注影音時尚口語。