I didn't put any stock into such speculation or superstition.
我不迷信也不亂猜,
speculation: 猜測
speculate v. 推測
The doctors speculate that he died of cancer.
醫生推測他死于癌癥。
【詞義辨析】
think,reflect, speculate,
think: 一般用詞,指開動腦筋形成看法或得出結論的腦力活動。不著重結論是否正確,見解是否有用。
reflect: 指回想或回顧,側重認真而冷靜地反復地思考某個問題,尤指對已發生事情的思索。
speculate: 指推論過程,隱含在證據不足的基礎上作出推測或設想。
superstition: 迷信
It's a common superstition that black cats are unlucky.
認為黑貓不吉利,這是一種普遍的迷信思想。
He holds that ignorance leads to superstition.
他認為無知會導致迷信。
Well, you can see my predicament.
這下我苦惱了
predicament: 窘況,困境
They tried to weasel out of the predicament.
他們試圖擺脫這種困境。
A loan of money would help me out of my predicament.
只需一筆貸款就能幫我擺脫困境。
My wedding ring, the symbol of fidelity to my wife...
我的婚戒,我對妻子忠貞的象征…
soon to be mother of my child...
而她也即將是孩子的媽了
fidelity: 忠誠
She praised his servant for his fidelity.
她稱贊他仆人的忠誠。
They betokened their fidelity to the leader with a vow.
他們以宣誓來表示他們對領袖的忠誠。
Did I want to deprive my son the chance to catch a fish like this of his own?
我真的要剝奪我兒子親手逮到此魚的機會嗎?
deprive: 剝奪
We have no right to deprive their life.
我們沒有權利去剝奪它們的生命。
The spread of television have considerably deprive us of our time for reading.
電視的普及剝奪了我們相當多的閱讀時間。
【詞義辨析】
rob, steal, plunder, deprive,
rob: 最常用詞,指用暴力恐嚇或哄騙等非法手段搶奪財物。
steal: 普通用詞,指暗中行竊。
plunder: 指大規模或大范圍地掠奪。
deprive: 多指奪去或扣留別人擁有或可能擁有的有價值或必需的東西,也可用于指抽象的事物。