116.Another Mode of Transportation
116.另外一種交通工具
"How are you finding your visit to our city, gentlemen?" the lady at the hotel desk asked.
"先生們,到我們城市參觀你們感覺怎樣?"飯店前臺小姐問。
"Oh, fine. We were hoping and praying for a better way to get around town, however.
"不錯。不過我們倒是希望有一種更好的辦法逛城。
With all the hustle and bustle on the streets we can never hail a taxi!"
街上一片熙熙攘攘, 我們從來都打不著出租車!"
"Why don't you try a horse and cart?" she suggested. "What? Can we ride those?"
"你們為什么不試一試馬車呢?"她建議道。"什么?我們能坐馬車嗎?"
"Sure. And there's no need to hunt for one. I can call from here to order one."
"當然。而且你們沒有必要自己去找,我可以從這里叫一輛過來。"
The two men huddled together for a moment and then came back.
兩個男人聚在一起商量了一會兒,然后回來了。
"But how much is it? I bet it's quite expensive!" one asked.
"得花多少錢?我想一定很貴!"其中一個問道。
When she answered he said, "Oh that's great.
聽到她說的價錢,他說:"那太好了!
We couldn't have hoped for a better price. How come we haven't heard of these before?
我們不可能希望更合適的價格。為什么我們以前沒有聽說這樣的事?"
"Well, some people are hostile towards riding behind a horse. They think it's cruel and unusual punishment.
"是這樣的,有些人反對坐在馬后面。他們認為這樣很殘忍,是一種特殊的懲罰。
I even saw one couple huff and puff for hours after seeing one horse pull by!
我甚至見過一對夫婦看到一匹馬拉車過去之后憤怒了幾個小時!
I almost called the police. I was so worried they would do something rash! It's like they were hungering for a confrontation!"
我差點兒叫了警察。我擔心他們會有過激行為!他們像是渴望跟人吵一架!"
"Interesting. Did anything happen?"
"有意思。后來真有事情發生嗎?"
"No. But when I told them I was going to call the police they were all hot and bothered towards me for a couple of minutes.
"沒有,可是當我告訴他們我準備叫警察的時候,他們對我氣勢洶洶了好幾分鐘。
It was scary, almost as scary as a horror movie.
當時的場面太嚇人了,幾乎和恐怖電影一樣嚇人。
And I couldn't believe how time drags when there's such tension in the air! But then they calmed down and left!"
我真不能相信氣氛緊張時時間怎么就過得那么慢!不過后來他們冷靜下來并離開了!"
"I guess you were lucky!" the other gentleman said.
"我想你很幸運!"另外一個說道。
"Yes. Oh, here's your horse and buggy. Have a nice ride!"
"是的。啊,這是你們的馬車。祝你們玩得開心!"