90.The Best Counter Attack
90.最好的反擊
"I got to get something off my chest,Wilbur!" Marge said, gearing up for a confrontation.
"我得把一件事說出來,威爾伯!"瑪吉說,她準備做一些對抗。
"Oh, what's that?" Wiibur said as he took his coffee off the gas stove.
"啊,是什么事?"威爾伯邊問邊把咖啡從煤氣爐上拿下來。
"I don't want you working at that gas station any more!
"我不想讓你繼續在那個加油站工作了!
You got off on the wrong foot there and they just don't appreciate you because of it!"
你在那里出師不利,正因為這樣他們一點兒也不欣賞你!
"I got that all in order, Marge! They like me now! Really!
我已經把一切都擺平了,瑪吉!他們現在喜歡我啦,是真的!
Now I got something I want to say as well.
我也有事情要說。
But I hope it won't get me in too much hot water!" Wilbur replied.
但我希望這件事不會使我有太多的麻煩!"威爾伯回答道。
"You've gained some weight lately and I'm a little concerned!"
"你最近有點兒發胖了,我有些擔心!"
"Oh, you got that right that you're in hot water now!"
"噢,你說對了,你現在有麻煩了!"
Marge suddenly yelled back as she gathered her skirt together in her hands so that she wouldn't use them to strangle Wilbur.
瑪吉突然吼道,她把裙子緊緊抓在手里,不然她會用手去掐威爾伯。
"How can you say that? Look at your own pot belly before you point out mine!"
"你怎么能說我胖呢?說我之前看看你自己那個肥大的肚子吧! "
Wilbur frowned, allowing her to think that she had gained the upper hand.
威爾伯皺起了眉頭,讓她覺得她占了上風。
"I'm just saying that you shouldn't be putting on weight!
"我是說你不應該增加體重呀!
Neither should I! I'm sorry if that came across wrong!
我也不應該!如果我被理解錯了,我向你道歉。
Let's gather up the threads before I go to work and try harder to eat better, okay?"
讓我們在我去上班之前言歸于好吧!以后盡量吃好一點,好嗎?"
With his apology Wilbur gained some ground with Marge and she calmed down.
賠禮道歉之后威爾伯得到了瑪吉的原諒,瑪吉總算平靜下來了。
Whew! He thought. Talking about weight always helped him change the subject.
哇!威爾伯想,只要說到體重總能幫他轉移話題。
Nothing else worked as well.
別的什么都沒有這么靈。
He had once tried to complain about the effects of genetic engineering on their morning tomatoes.
有一次他曾試著抱怨遺傳工程學對他們早上吃的西紅柿的影響。
But telling a woman she was getting fat was always enough to make her forget what she was really talking about!
但告訴一個女人她在發胖總是足以讓她忘記她真正想說的事情!