Thirteen A Stolen Apple Pie
第十三課 被偷的蘋果派
"He appeared out of the blue, officer.
"他是突然出現的,長官。
He came around the corner of the apartment building anxious about something, and then he stole my apple pie right out of the window!
他從宿舍樓拐彎處過來,好像正為某事發愁,然后從窗戶偷走了我的蘋果派!
If he would have stolen anything but my apple pie, I'd not be so angry.
如果他偷了其他任何東西而不是我的蘋果派,我都不會這么生氣。
But that was my last pie of the season!
因為那是我這個季節最后一個蘋果派!
And I didn't have an appetite for anything else!"
而我沒有胃口吃其他任何東西。
"Gee, I'm sorry, Mrs. Anderson.
"哎呀,很抱歉,安德森太太。
I'll have to appeal to your neighbors to see if anyone got a good look at the boy!
我得求助你的鄰居,看是否有人看清了那個男孩!
Now apart from his red jacket you saw nothing else?" The officer asked.
除了他的紅夾克,你沒看見其他東西嗎?"警察問
"No sir. But if he would have stayed any longer, I would have knocked him with my broom!"
"沒有,長官。如果他多待一點時間,我一定會用掃帚把他打倒在地!"
"Okay. Well I'm anxious to move on.
"那好,不過我現在得著急趕路了。
Your neighbors could leave for work any minute.
你的鄰居隨時都有可能去上班。
So thank you.
所以謝謝你啦。
Oh, and if I do catch him, you'll file charges for theft?"
噢,如果我真的把他抓到了,你會告他偷竊嗎?"
"Oh no! You just bring that boy back here so that he can apologize to me for what he did.
"啊不!不只要把他帶到這里來,讓他給我認個錯就行了。
I don't think it's appropriate to send a boy to jail just for stealing apple pie.
我想因為偷了一個蘋果派就將一個孩子送進監獄并不合適。
Let's just teach him a lesson.
咱們就教訓他一下吧!
The officier laughed, "Mam, if you want me to apply myself to finding this boy, I'm going to need to get more than an apology!"
"太太,如果你要我致力于尋找這個男孩,我需要的就不只是一個道歉了!"
"Oh, well then. Let's just forget it.
" 啊,是這樣,那就忘了這件事吧。
I'll apply for another shipment of apples and make another pie when they get there.
我會申請再送一次蘋果來,等蘋果到了,我再做另外一個派。
I guess it's not important enough to waste your time."
我猜這事沒有重要到浪費你的時間。"
The officer shrugged, packed up his note pad and walked back to his car.
警察聳了聳肩,收拾好筆記本向他的車走去。