Chris: Which colleges are you applying to?
克里斯:你準備申請哪一所大學?
Marcella: None. I can’t afford to go to college. Even if I lived at home, tuition, fees, and books are just too expensive.
瑪塞拉:都不申請。我付不起大學的費用。即使我住在家里,學費呀、各種費用呀、書呀都太貴了。
Chris: You could apply for financial aid.
克里斯:你可以申請貸款的。
瑪塞拉:我不想得申請一筆貸款,然后在接下來的10或20年里背負債務。那根本不值得。
Chris: Loans aren’t so bad, especially ones that are federally subsidized. Apart from that, you could get need-based grants or work-study. Put all of that together and college can be affordable.
克里斯:貸款沒那么糟糕,尤其是那種政府補貼的。除了貸款,你還可以得到基本保證,或者半工半讀。總的說來,大學是能夠念得起的。
Marcella: I don’t want to go into debt of any kind.
瑪塞拉:我不想背負任何形式的債務。
Chris: You could go to a community college and transfer to a four-year university after two years. Community college tuition is much lower.
克里斯:你可以去上社區大學,兩年后再轉到四年制的正規大學。社區大學的學費低一些。
Marcella: But who has the time? I have to work full-time to pay my bills.
瑪塞拉:但是誰有那時間呢?我必須得全職工作應付生活開銷。
Chris: Then think about a program that has a service commitment.
克里斯:那可以考慮一下有補貼的項目。
Marcella: What do you mean?
瑪塞拉:什么意思?
Chris: There are teaching, military, or community service programs that will forgive or pay off your loans if you work for the organization for a few years after graduating.
克里斯:學校有許多的教育、軍事或者社區服務工程,如果你畢業后在這些機構工作幾年,就能夠抵消或者還清貸款。
Marcella: And be an indentured servant? No, thank you!
瑪塞拉:這不是契約奴隸嗎!不需要,謝謝!
Chris: Okay, but most good jobs nowadays require a college degree.
克里斯:好吧,但是大多數好工作都需要大學學歷。
Marcella: Not if you really have talent.
瑪塞拉:不全是,只要你有能力。
Chris: Talent?
克里斯:能力?
Marcella: Yeah, haven’t you seen me mime? That’s my ticket to a great career.
瑪塞拉:是的,你看過我的啞劇表演嗎,這是我通往偉大事業的憑證。
Chris: I’m happy to hear you have such a practical plan mapped out for your future.
克里斯:很高興為了自己的將來你有一項切合實際的計劃。
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載