Ron cast a curious look back at Dumbledore and Harry as he closed the door.
洛哈特邁著輕快的步子走了出去。羅恩關門的時候,回頭好奇地看了鄧布利多和哈利一眼。
Dumbledore crossed to one of the chairs by the fire.
鄧布利多走向火邊的一把椅子。“坐下吧,哈利。”他說。
'Sit down, Harry,' he said, and Harry sat, feeling unaccountably nervous.
哈利坐了下來,心里感到緊張得難以形容。
'First of all, Harry, I want to thank you,' said Dumbledore, eyes twinkling again.
“首先,哈利,我要謝謝你,”鄧布利多說,眼睛里又閃爍著光芒,
'You must have shown me real loyalty down in the Chamber.
“你在下面的密室里一定對我表現出了絕對的忠誠。
Nothing but that could have called Fawkes to you.'
只有這種忠誠,才能把福克斯召喚到你的身邊。”
He stroked the phoenix, which had fluttered down onto his knee.
那只鳳凰已經撲棱棱地飛到了鄧布利多的膝頭,他輕輕地撫摸著它。

Harry grinned awkwardly as Dumbledore watched him.
哈利在鄧布利多的注視下,不自然地笑了笑。
'And so you met Tom Riddle,' said Dumbledore thoughtfully.
“這么說你遇見了湯姆里德爾,”鄧布利多若有所思地說,
'I imagine he was most interested in you...'
“我可以想象,他最感興趣的就是你……”
Suddenly, something that was nagging at Harry came tumbling out of his mouth.
突然,一件一直困擾著哈利的事從他嘴里脫口而出。
'Professor Dumbledore...Riddle said I'm like him. Strange likenesses, he said...'
“鄧布利多教授……里德爾說我很像他。有一些奇特的相似之處,他說……”
'Did he, now?' said Dumbledore, looking thoughtfully under his thick silver eyebrows at Harry.
“他是這么說的?”鄧布利多說,濃密銀眉下的眼睛沉思地望著哈利,
'And what do you think, Harry?'
“你是怎么想的呢,哈利?”
'I don't think I'm like him!' said Harry, more loudly than he'd intended.
“我才不像他呢!”哈利說,本來不想用這么大的聲音說話的,
'I mean, I'm — I'm in Gryffindor, I'm...'
“我的意思是說,我……我在格蘭芬多,我是……”
But he fell silent, a lurking doubt resurfacing in his mind.
可是他沉默了,一絲疑慮又在他腦海里重新冒了出來。
'Professor,' he started again after a moment, 'the Sorting Hat told me I'd, I'd have done well in Slytherin.
“教授,”過了片刻,他又說道,“分院帽對我說——我在斯萊特林會很優秀。
Everyone thought I was Slytherin's heir for a while...because I can speak Parseltongue...'
有一段時間,大家都以為我是斯萊特林的繼承人……因為我會說蛇佬腔——”