Student: Oh, what’s the difference?
學生:哦,有什么區別嗎?
Professor: Well, the Bauhaus is not really an artistic style like cubism.
教授:鮑豪斯不見得是一種像立體派那樣的藝術風格。
It was the name of an art and design school in Germany in the early 20th century.
它是20世紀早期德國的一所藝術設計學院的名字。
The Bauhaus was started as an experiment in education, and one ground-breaking technique used in its teaching was that students actively participated in workshops instead of just sitting in classes.
鮑豪斯學院是作為一種教育方面的實驗而成立的,它在教學中使用的一個獨創性的技術就是學生能積極參與到工場中去,而不只是坐在教室里。
Student: Interesting! I don’t have much background in art or anything.
學生:有意思!我沒有什么藝術方面的背景。
I’m an economics major and I’m taking this class as an elective, decided I wanted to broaden my awareness, try something new!
我是經濟學專業的學生,我是選修的這門課,決定想要拓寬一下我的知識,嘗試一些新事物。
Professor: Excellent! I’m really glad to hear that.
教授:非常好!聽你這么說我很高興。
Student: So, was the focus of the Bauhaus architecture, I mean, I studied German and Bauhaus translates into house for building...
學生:所以,鮑豪斯的焦點是建筑嗎?我學過德語,而Bauhaus翻譯過來就是建筑的房屋。
Professor: Well, the founding director was an architect.
教授:創立這個學院的負責人曾是個建筑師。
However, he aimed to combine an incredibly broad variety of fine arts and crafts under one artistic roof.
但是他的目標是把很廣范圍的美術和工藝結合在一個藝術范疇下。
As a matter of fact, when the Bauhaus first opened, it was without any architecture department for several years.
事實上,鮑豪斯最初建校時根本沒有建筑系,幾年之后才設立的。
But later, it became very influential in architecture.
但是后來它在建筑業舉足輕重。
Student: So I wasn’t all wrong.
學生:所以我說的也不全是錯的。
Professor: You’ll see on the syllabus that you are required to visit the Rutherford Museum exhibit.
教授:你會在大綱上看到,你們被要求參觀盧瑟福博物館展覽。