So the Nautilus had to halt in its venturesome course among these tracts of ice.
所以,諾第留斯號就在冰場中間停止了它的冒險行動。
Sir, Ned Land told me that day, if your captain goes any farther.Yes?
先生,那一天尼德·蘭對我說,如果您的船長能再走遠一點!那么?
He'll be a superman.
那么,他便是杰出的人。
How so, Ned?
尼德,為什么呢?
Because nobody can clear the Ice Bank.
因為沒有人能走過冰山。
Your captain's a powerful man, but damnation, he isn't more powerful than nature.
您的船長有力量,可是,好啊!他不能比大自然更有力量。大自然劃下界限的地方。
If she draws a boundary line, there you stop, like it or not!
不管愿意不愿意,他總得停住。
Correct, Ned Land, but I still want to know what's behind this Ice Bank! Behold my greatest source of irritation-a wall!
對的,尼德,不過我很想知道冰山后面是什么呢!面前一道圍墻,最使我難受!
Master is right, Conseil said. Walls were invented simply to frustrate scientists.
先生說得對,康塞爾說,圍墻發明出來,只是為激怒學者們的。
All walls should be banned.
無論什么地方都不應該有圍墻。
Fine! the Canadian put in. But we already know what's behind this Ice Bank.
對!加拿大人說,在這座冰山后面,人們早已知道有些什么東西了。
What? I asked.
是什么呢?我問。
Ice, ice, and more ice.
是冰,永遠是冰!
You may be sure of that, Ned, I answered, but I'm not.
尼德,這點您說得很肯定,我回答,但是,我可不敢肯定。
That's why I want to see for myself.
所以我要去看看。
Well, professor, the Canadian replied, you can just drop that idea!
那么,教授,加拿大人回答,您要放棄這個思想。
You've made it to the Ice Bank, which is already far enough, but you won't get any farther, neither your Captain Nemo or his Nautilus.
您到了冰山,那已經夠了,您不能再前進,您的尼摩般長和他的諾第留斯號也不能再前進,
And whether he wants to or not, we'll head north again, in other words, to the land of sensible people.
不管他愿意不愿意,我們是要回過來往北走了,就是說,回到老實人居住的國土。
I had to agree that Ned Land was right, and until ships are built to navigate over tracts of ice, they'll have to stop at the Ice Bank.
我必須承認尼德,蘭說的話對,當船還不是造來在冰場中行駛的時候,當然在冰山面前就得停住了。