Read her the first passage.
給她讀第一段
"I'll never forget the night Victoria and I met.
"我永遠不會忘記和維多利亞相遇的那一晚
"New year's eve,
那是1991年
"1991.
元旦
"In her eyes, I saw kindness and fire
在她的眼中 我看到了善良和熱情
"and something else--
還有一種
"a deep sadness to match my own.
讓我與之共鳴的深深憂郁
"It had been two years since I had said good-bye to my wife.
那時距離我和我妻子分手已有兩載
"And the pain of that loss was as crippling on that night
而由分手帶給我的傷痛在那一夜
As it was the day I laid eyes on her for the last time."
因我的眼光落在她的身上而開始痊愈"
Let's cut to the chase, shall we? How much?
我們還是直入主題吧 多少錢
For the journal. How much?
這本日記 開價多少
I don't want your money.
我不想要你的錢
Then pray, what do you want?
那么拜托 你想要什么
I want to know about my mother.
我想知道我母親的事情
Read her the next passage.
給她讀下一段
"the only person to whom I ever confided the truth about Kara
"關于卡拉 我只對維多利亞
was Victoria."
吐露過實情"
What truth is he talking about?
他說的實情是什么事
All I know is what he told me.
我只知道他告訴過我
That your mother died in a mental institution
在你很小的時候 你母親就已經
when you were a very little girl.
在精神病院里死了